Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Let's go Choppin'! IZ OTR Help.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  3:27:44 PM  Show Profile
Ok, this should be simple...
but there's a sublety I'm missing.
I want to simulate a good Iz reggae chop as in "Somewhere OTR"
It's a wedding request, and I actually still love it.
To do a good stop on my tenor uke I've been experimenting with a combination of r.h. fingers and palm...but it's not as clean as IZ's.

How do I get a better shortened chord for this and other songs?
G

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 05/01/2005 7:07:11 PM

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  5:41:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hi Gordon! Good topic, hard to do...
The chop is important to selling the reggae beat on the solo uke, but I think with Iz's song it's a combination of hammering off on the closed C (5433), G (0232) and Em (4432)chords, then palm muting after the upstrum on the more open chords, like the F (2010).
The magic of that song also lies in the sound of his Martin tenor, strung low G, recorded with lots of mid/bass and spacey reverb.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  10:43:57 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I'm strung low G,
on my new G sting tenor!

I'm still a little hit and miss on the reggae-stop for different chords...but sometimes it starts to sound close!
And of course, the real challenge is to capture that soul.
I'm trying less falsetto for some moderate passages...although I've worked insane hours on getting some of IZ's vocal tones...
in the end it'll be part mine...
It sometimes sounds a little wimpy if I don't shape the vowels and place the vocal resonance "buzz" to have some "torque".
Work in progress.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  1:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
You might want to check IZ: The Songbook Collection. Nice book with lots of Bruddah Iz's arrangements.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  4:44:48 PM  Show Profile
Aloha!
I have the book. so nice to have tab, but it's all done for standard tuning! Anyone transcribe anything to taropatch or? (yes, 6-string tab)
mahalo -
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2005 :  7:01:12 PM  Show Profile
Does Auntie Maria have this Iz songbook? Amazon is back ordered...
I'm still checkin' around.
I would have had one if I'd known.

Is the uke and guitar stuff literallly what's recorded?
And the vocal"?
Anyway, gotta have.
Nancy, for the OTR on guitar, I was messin' with taropatch capoed up 5, and devised my own roll.
and then figure out the am, E7, etc.
Or mo betta, do it your way.

I like the key, but if that's too high or low--well capo good tool.
I interested to see if there's good stuff...just the words and vocals notation are useful to these eyes.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  7:03:54 PM  Show Profile
No more books at MELE.COM -- but you can also purchase the book directly from the distributor:
http://www.mountainapplecompany.com

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  7:50:48 PM  Show Profile
For LA area - Doug has them at Island Legends...
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  7:01:41 PM  Show Profile
Is the book pretty acurate for Uke?

Iz's r.h. fingernails are constantly clickin' and setting on 1 and 3-- when he isn't hitting the open G other bass string notes on these strong beats...

I do this at the end of the fingerboard near the soundhole...
near the low G string--kinda curled under to tap the wood. Seems close...sorta

Anyone else messed with this?

This r.h. fingernail click seems to anchor and set the beat up for the off beat strums...

Anyway, the book should be here late this week...perhaps there's some help there.
I wasn't using the 5543 C, and other closed voicings--I'll try (are you sure?)--(Lord Calvin says, defer to the ears)....I was using mostly open chords, except for the e minor bar...
never heard it as closed...just blocked or choked.
I'm trying a combo of r.h. and left hand quick chokes and blocks.
If this doesn't work, I'll try to tackle it.
Maybe a Taser.

Is there another song where Iz does a similar thing...one that might be on one of his video appearances?
I have most of his video stuff...methinks.

My rendition is still approximate!
Not good enough.
Must be mo' betta.

G
Go to Top of Page

portageeukeboy
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  05:34:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit portageeukeboy's Homepage
I just got my copy of the Iz songbook yesterday, and I'm a little disapointed. It's great in the sense that it contains exact transcriptions of all of Iz's uke part (including SOTR), all the vocal harmonies, Hawaiian translations, etc.; but everything is in the wrong key!

The book is written for guitarists who are capoing their instruments on the fifth fret to imitate uke voicings. This is fine for guitarists, but for uke players who read chord symbols and standard treble clef notation, pianists, and vocalists, everything is a fifth too high (or a fourth too low, from a certain point of view)! For instance, Somewhere over the Rainbow is in C on the recording, but in G in the book (when a guitarist fingers a G chord with the capo on the fifth fret, we hear a C chord).

If you read uke tab, you're okay, as uke tab is the same as guitar with the capo on the fifth fret tab. But you have to transpose on the fly if you read standard notation (or are trying to play the songs on the piano). Very frustrating, seeing as this is a book of music by a ukulele player and uke players can't play it (I know we can transpose, but that's alot of work for the casual player). I see all these solos I've wanted to learn written out in beautiful trebel clef notation right in front of me, but it's a fifth too high! Jeers to whoever made that editing decision. Guitarists could still read the music just fine if the correct chord symbols were used, their voicings just wouldn't be the same as on Iz's uke.

Anyways, thanks for letting me vent.

"When its time for go, its time for go" - Bruddah Iz
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  1:20:29 PM  Show Profile
Yikes...
that's annoying.
I can do little transposition...but I don't have to like it!

Music teachers, well, we do clarinets (a major 2nd), saxes (minor 3rds and 2nds etc., french horns (a 5th) and etc. etc. etc...but I don't do it FAST enoough for reality MTV!
I mean, I could have gotten a LIFE skill...but NOOOO...
Somebody needs to write a helpful, but emphatic advisory to the publisher...
they should re-do it!
There are a lot of people who will be lost.
or wandering.

I have written out IZ's a vocal lead sheet...down to the breath marks... In concert key...what was I thinkin'?

IF you read treble cleff melody a little...you might want to e-mail me, and get your private lesson...the first one's free.
The tricky part is I keep messing up the "new" words. Logic and memory...
Are all tunes this way?
That's crazy...sure it's a great little guitar--to Uke range trick...but I think we can go to Kilauea, and start a new vent!
Now what did I really want to talk about?
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  1:27:43 PM  Show Profile
P.S.
the music program "Finale" or others may have some scanning and transposition tools...but that doesn't really fix this one much...

I'll get some benefit from the book...
it gets here Monday, But I think a bunch of us should tell the publisher to do an "new improved edition".
They're gonna sell a bunch of this...
Look what they've done to our song...
Maybe that's good...it'll scare off some of the other cats.
Meow.
We are gonna get sick of sad versions of this!
Kapila Kane vent.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  3:32:23 PM  Show Profile
Aloha.... remember that... as you, we, me, get frustrated. I was planning on writing to them to ask if we transposed, wrote out our own tabs if they had any problem with them being widely shared. I think fixing it is an even better solution. Anyway, I'll try to get a letter out within a week - anyone else want to go for it? And most have notes acknowleging use by permission... I'll have to figure that out too. At least as a musician, you have a bit of an advantage Dr. Kapila --
Hope you still get to go to Camp - if so, stay the night of the 26th and kanikapila? we will be coming over on the afternoon ferry on Sun the 26th - oops, wrong thread, sorry.
Anyway, hope things go well for your family.
aloha!!
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

portageeukeboy
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  03:43:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit portageeukeboy's Homepage
I'm going to try scanning and transposing in Finale this weekend. I'm lucky and was able to get a Not For Resale copy (translation: free!) of "Smart Score" which, supposedly, scans published music at 99+% accuracy, lyrics, fretboards and all, then exports to Finale where you can transpose it. Not sure if it scans the tab, but that part is correct in the book anyways.

I was thinking of writing a letter as well. It's published by Warner Bros. and distributed by Mountain Apple (or is it the other way around?).

It's a very good resource for Iz tunes, except for the whole wrong key thing, so it would be nice if it were re-released for us Uke players!

"When its time for go, its time for go" - Bruddah Iz
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  06:51:50 AM  Show Profile
Well, republished for us slackers too since the tab is in Standard tuning EADGBE.....
I wonder if we'll have any success...
mahalo -

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2005 :  10:59:22 PM  Show Profile
I got it Friday...
still assimilating, but it would have been better in standard/concert pitch...and transribe the uke tunes for uke with an instruction on how to adapt the guitar to function as a uke...that would have been SO MUCH EASIER...

then it wouldn't be so screwed up for all sorts of different users.
I say buy it, adapt it to your use, and talk to your close friends for helpful tricks and tools for transposing it into a useful format.
The publisher should have figured it out, but we still appreciate that someone cared enough to try.

Just tell the publisher it's done in a hard to use format...especially for some of the most sought after tunes....and DON'T GO ASKIN' if you can adapt it for your own practical use-- with your own sweat and research.

And get a little help from your friends for translating THEIR gobbletigoop.
They're charging us out front, and we get to do the final work that makes it USEABLE.

There are, however, a couple of tunes written nicely as they were recorded, where they didn't feel compelled to "uke it up."

The Hi'ilawe is one, and another where one guitar is in open "A" ...which is taropatch with a capo up 2. Or was it "Hi'ilawe"?
One standard, one in open...
these untarnished ones are nice.

Some good work, just some bad editing decisions.
Maybe we should suggest an addendum...for concert pitched instruments, including uke, piano, and the somewhat important VOCAL.

Geez, what were they thinkin'?

Singers, Ukesters, Pianists and other players WILL be strugglin' with this book for some time...but where there's a will ....
life will find a way.

It's interesting to see
how they transcribed the rhythm on
"White Sandy Beach", and "Panini Pua Kea".
Not sure I would have figured the rhythmic layout that way, but maybe I'm too symetrical...
It does seem to work out.

Sometime, I may tackle a few basic transpositions of some songs, as time allows...at least the vocal and uke...
and at least it seems pretty accurate...

If you're strugglin' with a song and a particular transposition, drop me an e-mail...no promises...but no charge.
Maybe I can help--depends on time!

Happy Mother's Day, and Good Night,

Dr. Know
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000