Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 There are kanikapilas and then there are...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  02:25:32 AM  Show Profile
performances called kanikapilas. I've always thought they meant everybody who shows up is expected to participate, so when someone forwarded an email about a kanikapila at the other end of town at a restaurant/lounge, I was enthused. I was a little surprised, too, so I emailed back about what skill level was expected. I wasn't explicit enough or the person I emailed didn't understand my confusion, because I still understood it was for everyone to play though I wondered how they would organize it.

Wrong. It was two or three groups who normally play separately jamming together on stage. The audience could dance or listen. Worse, they were so loud I couldn't hear the music, odd as that sounds. It was painful din with a beat. Maybe that's typical of the bar scene? To preserve my hearing, we gathered up our instruments and left after a couple of numbers for the long drive home. It was a disappointing evening.

Why post? I dunno. Misery loves company. Beware of misleading ads.

Tomorrow maybe I can laugh about it.

Pauline

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  3:37:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage
I dunno, I'd have a hard time calling something like that 'Kani ka pila'. I usually think of something where most everyone knows each other and nobody is centerstage (or even on one). Tanks eh for da warning!

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.

There's no regrets; only good times.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  11:48:39 PM  Show Profile
I know how you feel!

I have been to a number of "kanikapila's" at this point and I can tell you that this happens over and over again. There are some folks who organize these things just so that THEY can show off, and there are some folks who show up at these things just so that THEY TOO can show off. I have seen folks show up and start playing early and loudly and dominate the room for 20 to 30 minutes, and then, when other people finaly get a chance to participate, they find some excuse to leave! I have seen others who complain that the kanikapila is "too structured" because they were not able to dominate the proceedings. I guess this is human nature, just like being out on the Freeway.

The "kanikapila's" where I have had the most fun are the ones where everyone is allowed a chance to play (if they want to) and everyone is also allowed to learn something (if they want to). A simple rotation from person to person accomplishes this very nicely.

I am reminded of the recent movie "Lilo and Stitch" (OK - so it's one of those propagandistic Disney films) wherein one of key concepts that "Stitch" begins to appreciate is "no one gets left behind" aka "no one gets left out". I am not sure that this is a truly Hawaiian concept, but it is an admirable one to strive for in any social endeavor, including kanikapila's!

...Ye olde soapbox Lawrence

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  01:27:38 AM  Show Profile
I received an email from the person who was doing the publicity, I'm not sure what his role is, and he said anyone could join them on stage who wanted to. Don't wait, just walk up, for instance later that evening another band came by. Well, maybe, but it's not a kanikapila for hesitant beginners. It would be for peers to join the performers. Peers with amped instruments. I don't know how many plug-ins the PA could handle.

He did apologize for the excessive volume and said he'd be at the next one and make sure the volume was right. After checking around, I think that bar bands are always too loud. It's enough to drive a person to... abstinence.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000