Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Banjo ki ho`alu?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  10:16:23 PM  Show Profile
Okay folks -- this one's a long shot, but...

I've got an acquaintance who plays banjo, and he's become enamored with slack key lately. No $$$ to buy a guitar, so I've offered to help him find slack key recordings which include banjo -- he's willing to learn the tunes by listening to the CDs.

Any suggested recordings???

Mahaloz in advance!

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  01:08:30 AM  Show Profile
Nahenahe banjo music? Do you think he can pull that off? You were brave to make this post, it almost begs for jokes.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  02:05:58 AM  Show Profile
It's not all that farfetched an idea. One of the standard tunings for a banjo is gdbdg, basically taro patch tuning, missing a string. A friend of mine had a roommate who owned one, and I managed to do some things that sounded slack-keyish, although I was confused by the 5th string, which starts at the 5th fret.

I think your friend would be able to pull it off, really. But you are one sting short, you may experience some issues, but I think in a band setting, y'all could pull it off, maybe as a replacemtn for some uke parts.

The problem getting the nahenahe feeling Pauline alluded to is because the banjo has a lot of bite, not much sustain on the notes. In the right setting, like doing a cover of a Hawaiian song, it would be interesting to see such an instrument out of it's natural environment. As far as straight slack key, I dont know if it would be impossible, but it certainly would be a challenge.

Cheers!
- Greg

When you get a moment, could you do me a favor and explain to me what I was just talking about?

Edited by - rd2ruin on 07/22/2003 02:14:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  02:24:50 AM  Show Profile
I would look to the Peter Moon recordings. I don't think there's a banjo in there - a guitar and a tipple (sp?) - but I think there's material that can be "appropriated." Somebody should send Bela Fleck an email and ask him if he's ever considered Hawaiian music
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  08:36:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
i believe in the pahinui brothers video peter moon is playing ukulele in one song (i cant check cuz i lent mine to someone 5 years ago and they never returned it). also in the eddie kamae film "the hawaiian way" theres a guy playing slack key ukulele.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  09:20:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
The Gabby Band sometimes included banjo--I'm away from my library, but I think it was Peter Moon who played it. Some of the sleeve photos show the banjo, and if you listen carefully you can hear it in the mix.

As for the tuning--it was interesting to pick up a banjo again after working on slack key and find how many of the taro patch licks not only fit comfortably but sound pretty cool. I think your friend will find that while banjo isn't the perfect solo SK instrument, it fits into a combo pretty well, at least for dance-tempo tunes.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  11:54:58 AM  Show Profile
Just last night we listened to Gabby's "Rabbit Island Festival" CD, and one of the guys on it plays banjo...

-Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  12:32:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Hello ya'll, I kanikapila with a banjo all the time. Tune it like a slack-key ukuklele and "geev-um". I was planning on bringing my banjo to the next Slack-key workshop I attend just for the kanikapilas. It adds a wonderful country flavor to the music. Enjoy the day!
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  8:56:56 PM  Show Profile
You guys are da best -- I _knew_ you'd have some ideas for my friend!

I'm printing out all the replies; he's on his own after that

Mucho mahaloz,
auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  1:46:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
HIi -

Leilehua Yeun told me her dad (or was it grand-dad?) played banjo in a band in Hilo a long time ago. She played me some of his style -- mostly chording and strumming. Very sweet.

You can get in touch with her through her website: http://www.KaaheleHawaii.com/

Cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000