Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Taropatch.net Miscellaneous
 Announcements, Feedback, Suggestions
 Response time
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  1:25:21 PM  Show Profile
Hey Andy,

Maybe it's my imagination, but response time seems to be creeping up. Visiting the forum is getting to be a drag.

Always complaining,

Pauline

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  1:45:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
No problems here. My personal response time is creeping up but I think that's just age. (Wish I could reboot myself.)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 08/05/2003 7:07:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  1:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I noticed some delay too. Wasn't sure if it was my computer, the server or internet connection. I'll check it out and keep an eye on it.

Things should be okay because the server only crashes when I go to Maui.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  6:01:32 PM  Show Profile
large lag time over here....usually 30 seconds and often more.

Been this way for the last month or so, that I've noticed.

Lots of time outs (maybe 25% of the time)

I'm thinking server issues....it is the same on any of the 3 or so couputers I access on..( all in different locations)

...course, it could just be the sites so popular it's getting hit hard most of the time.

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  6:02:40 PM  Show Profile
btw..........a 'couputer' is evidently a super secret device known but to me.

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  7:06:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
That's right, I forgot about the timeouts...I thought it was just me. Probably 30% of the time I initially access the site I get an error message saying it couldn't be found. Next time I try I get in just fine. Once I'm in I don't encounter any problems.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  12:15:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
When you find that response time is very slow, can you please note the line at the bottom, left, "This page was generated in x seconds."

Please let me know what kind of number you're getting. This should help me diagnose where the problem is coming from.

Mahalo.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  08:14:39 AM  Show Profile
Andy, it is not only during page generation or initial logon. It occurs even when invoking a new page. It does not depend on time of day (this is written 8:15 AM EDT and it is happening now). So, it does not seem as if there is a "prime time" problem. It is also sporadic during what passes for a "session" on the web(there is no concept of state or session with the web; each page is a new event to the server). So, sometimes a page will snap up and then, with no pattern, a page will take forever to appear.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  08:42:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Does the problem appear to be forum pages only, or the entire site (home, learning, news, links, etc)?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  10:21:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
i've been trying an unscientific experiment of escaping out of a page load when it stalls and retrying. often, the page comes up quickly the second time. so, i'm suspecting that the problem is connectivity rather than at the server end...

Keith
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  11:12:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Definitely seems like a network issue...the pages are generating in around 0.15 seconds for me.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  1:56:04 PM  Show Profile
It may be connectivity/network, but whose? It is not my local connection or server. I am getting about 1.2 mbps continually to test sites (I am nearly alone on a cable leg). It is also not one of the "national spines" as most other sites come up quite quickly. I can only guess that it is the server provider's connectivity, if connectivity is the problem.

Craig, I am also unclear about exactly what "page generation time" counts. If it is merely CPU cycles, then it will nearly always be a small number. If it includes queue time and/or store time, then that is different. But, we don't know, do we?

I don't think we can diagnose this thing from a distance. We need provider facts. When I used to be in the work force, I would have one of my net guys sniff net transmissions and sysadmins run monitor logs. So, it can be done; if they want to do it.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  2:09:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
To me, the quick "page generation" times tell me that the server is processing the pages without a problem. I am suscpicious because more than serveral of us are noticing problems especially since we are spread out geographically and using different ISPs.

My guess is that the server may be a bit overloaded. Perhaps the connection from the server to the internet is not capable of handling all the traffic it should handle. I'm looking into this.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  2:37:10 PM  Show Profile
I get a 'page generation time' of anywhere from 0.06 seconds to 0.53 seconds for a page that finishes loading (completely readable on screen) within 5 seconds. For one page that took 45 seconds to be readable, the 'pgt' was 0.17 seconds. For another page that took over 2 minutes to finish loading, the 'pgt' was 0.14 seconds.

So, the 'pgt' is not related to the hang time. I usually get the title bar, the forum 'tree' (the subdirectory tree on the left hand side of the page) and the 'new topic' 'printer friendly' stuff on the right hand side of the page within a second or two, and then everything hangs.

I suspect that it is related to server overload, but doesn't involve the 'asp' cycle time, but has to do with the translation from the 'asp' output to the viewable (html?) code.

Beyond those comments, I'm getting out of my league. Kinda like trying to use a pinkie on a string five frets down...stretched to the limit!

Puna

Edited by - Puna on 08/06/2003 2:38:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  10:27:05 PM  Show Profile
8/6, 7:30 PST - very slow connection for me tonight
Also - I get bounced out of "log in" frequently and have to go back and log in again -
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2003 :  11:29:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Apologies for the problems. I am having ongoing discussions with the web host and appreciate all your feedback.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000