Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Good Books
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2002 :  11:42:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Aloha all,

Just couldn't resist bringing a couple books to your attention. The first is an easy read which presents inspiring profiles of 24 Kupuna including Margaret Machado, Winona Beamer, Kekuni Blaisdell, George Na`ope, Herb Kane and Nainoa Thompson. Kaliko Beamer Trapp had told us about this book because there is a chapter about Auntie Nona and her role as a Hawaiian activist. I really enjoyed this one and recommend it if you can get your hands on a copy.

Voices of Wisdom
Voices of Wisdom

I do not have a copy of this book but Deborah (SlackKeyShelby) showed it to me at the Beamer April weekend. Such a novel idea - the Bible translated into pidgin. Cool!

Da Jesus Book: Hawaiian Pidgin New Testament
Da Jesus Book: Hawaiian Pidgin New Testament

These are linked to Barnes & Noble and there's an Amazon link below in case you want to find 'em.

Aloha,
Andy

Turtle Song
Aloha

47 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2002 :  8:21:22 PM  Show Profile
I bought Da Jesus Book at Borders in Hilo and I just LOVE it. For those Pidgin phrases I don't know there is a glossary in the back! I can't help but laugh when I read it, what a wonderful way to read Scripture. Wish I had someone who could read it to me in REAL Pidgin. Hmmm, maybe they need to produce an audio version.

Another book we found there is one that came highly recommended to me last August at camp. It was out of print for a while, but apparently it is now available again. It's called "Tales From the Night Rainbow" by Koko WIllis and Pali Jae Lee. I've only thumbed through it so far, but it looks wonderful.

And yet one more. . . "An Hour With the Queen, Lessons on Forgiveness and Grace" by Kaleialoha and Hiwahiwa. Each section offers a clearly stated purpose followed by a "discover" statement that draws you in to experience some aspect of joy or forgiveness or love as eximplified in the life of the Queen.

A perfect companion to Ozzie's album "To Honor A Queen."

How I wish I could have met Queen Lili'uokalani.

aka Deborah
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2002 :  3:18:06 PM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou,

"Voices of Wisdom" was a really interesting and wonderful book. ...I ordered it, and after it arrived, I couldn't get it out of Reid's hands to read it! :-) We both thought it was great.

Sarah

Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2002 :  3:31:19 PM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou,

By the way, I am reading a really good book about growing up near Kalapana. (As y'all know a lot of good slack key came out of Kalapana.)
"He Mo'olelo No Kapa'ahu: Story of Kapa'ahu" by Emma Kapunoho'ulaokalani Kauhi. The first half of the book is in Hawaiian, but the second half is the English translation.
Emma, who was born in 1916 in Kalapana, relates memories of growing up there between 1916-1935. One interesting thing is that it turns out her grandmother was a Punahoa, and Fred Punahoa was a cousin of hers.
You can find this book at nativebookshawaii.com ($12.50)

Sarah

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000