Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Who is Joanie Komatsu?!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  12:35:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
OK, so I'm listening to Joanie Komatsu's 1994 CD Waimaka`ole (which I bought from Auntie Maria after listening to excerpts from a few tracks) and reading the liner notes. Track 2 features slack key guitar by Sonny Chillingworth and Ozzie Kotani. Track 4 features George Winston playing slack key and Daniel Ho playing keyboards. Track 6 features (and is co-written by) Keola Beamer. Ozzie and Daniel are featured on other tracks as well.

So who is Joanie Komatsu (who I'd never heard of until I heard this CD) and how is/was she so well connected in the slack key community?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  09:48:02 AM  Show Profile
I was surprised to stumble across her, too. Don't know much more about her than is in the liner notes. She's on the "Hawaiian slack Key Christmas" album, too, singing O Holy Night, and "Ki Ho'alu Christmas" singing Po La'i E - both beautifully.

Did you see this page about Ruthie, her sister, who sings with her?

http://www.k12.hi.us/~rkomatsu/aboutme.htm

There's also this quote from http://www.brouhaha.net/bytemarks/bytemarks.php?number=160 :

"While in town last month for a series of concerts, I caught up with Winston in a recording session with one of my favorite local musicians, Joanie Komatsu. After appearing on one of the Dancing Cat compilation CDs, Ki ho`alu Christmas, Joanie is finally working on her own Dancing Cat recording. The music I heard was sweet. Winston told me later that he has gotten used to Hawaiian time. He figures the completed CD will be available around 2002."

She was also listed in 1999 Honolulu Advertiser under "Ongoing Lounge Acts" :
"Joanie Komatsu, contemporary Hawaiian, 5:30-8:30 p.m., Hale ‘Ikena, Fort Shafter, Bldg. 711. 438-1974." She apparently was at the opening for this venue http://www2.armymwr.com/mwr/theme_concepts/shafter.html "The festivities were attended by guitarist/singer, Joanie Komatsu, who played traditional Hawaiian tunes and her own original melodies. "

-Sarah
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  10:25:12 PM  Show Profile
Don't know who she is, but in addition to abovementioned, I have a 1989 album by her called "Moon Over Manoa." - Chas Brotman produced and played guitar, Daniel Ho played synth, Kim Taylor Reece did cover photo.
Her business seems to be called "Little Pine Productions" in Honolulu.

Would certainly like to know more about her and here more of her stuff.
Raymond Stovich
San Jose
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000