Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Aunty Nona plans to hang up her hula skirt
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2003 :  2:11:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Much aloha to Auntie Nona. Not attending AMC 2003 was tough enough but not seeing Auntie Nona and missing the celebration of her 80th birthday was probably the toughest to miss. There is a nice article about her in the Star Bulletin. And the last sentence give us a hint at a new venue for AMC 2005?

Aunty Nona plans to hang up her hula skirt

Andy

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2003 :  3:20:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
"Twenty years ago, with Honolulu businessman Richard Towill, she started Ka Himeni Ana, an organization that holds an annual competition to encourage young musicians in what she called "soft Hawaiian music without amplification."

Yes, it was 20 years ago at the "Orvis" University of Hawaii where I first met Aunty Nona Beamer. I can remember her giving my nervous band and I calming encouragement before performing at "Ka Himeni Ana". Such a loving personality. I wish her the best of health and happiness. By the way we came in fourth. Politics, politics...
Go to Top of Page

Popoki
Akahai

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2003 :  4:59:46 PM  Show Profile
Ahhh, Auntie Nona, what a sweetheart!! I have only had the pleasure of getting to know her since the Aloha Music Camps started and am so grateful for that. Her positive outlook is inspiring. We were lucky enough to get to see her dance quite a bit lately - caught them at the Borders on Maui, the concert at the MACC, then the wonderful performance in Waimea - their hometown!! That show was so emotional and special. The moon and rainbow over Mauna Kea before the concert was so beautiful - Waimea seemed to know it was a magical night.

Mahalo to Auntie Nona for all the fun stories, songs, dances, and the knowledge she continues to share. The new learning center in Honomu on the Big Island's Hamakua Coast sounds like it will be an interesting place.

Aloha, >^..^<
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000