Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Homemade ukes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  09:02:14 AM  Show Profile
I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress, Jesse. I wish Hanalima made a soprano kit. Not that I'd ever get it put together, but it would be nice having the wood around... :)
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  2:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Kahalenahele,
Sopranos are fun, but I wanted a tenor (can't afford anything good) so I'm building one. You could cut down the wood in the tenor kit to build a standard, but at $80, it would be an expensive soprano!
Check on Ebay for basic little soprano kits by searching "ukulele" and "luthier". There are quick-build kits that have the parts cut/bent/carved and ready for assembly.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

BernieB
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  8:30:17 PM  Show Profile
Jesse, You should have received two pieces of mahogany from Mike (or Asa) about 1/2 by 1/2 by 4 inches. These would be the ears that you glue onto the head to widen it. I've got pics I could email you to show you what I mean. You're right about belt sander and bandsaw. Indispensible. The other biggest tool I use is a DeWalt 10 inch contractor's table saw. There is a jig you can make that will allow you to cut the neck to the 15 degree slant you need at the head.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2003 :  02:23:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Yeah, you're right! I looked at those little sticks and wondered what they were for. But Gilbert's book shows you starting with a three-inch wide board and cutting the head out of that. Too much to learn!
I've already decided to go with a narrow Seagull-style headstock. We'll see if that works. I may have to go back get those ears.
And I already have the table saw, but I cut the headstock scarf with a bandsaw. After a little resanding, it was almost straight.
Mahalo for the tips! Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

konacat
Aloha

36 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2003 :  1:26:11 PM  Show Profile
Jessie,

Keep us updated with your progress. As you can see by the number of postings there are many people other than myself with interest in this project. Your experience and tips will be helpful to other beginners.
Thanks

Philip The only thing worse than my playing is my singing.
Go to Top of Page

BernieB
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2003 :  1:57:52 PM  Show Profile
Jessie, Here's a link to a site with plans for the scarf cut jig I made . Kathy's got other interesting ideas on her site as well. This jig allows you to be very precise, and it was easy to make! http://pweb.jps.net/~kmatsu/htmlpages/scarfjig.html
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  02:08:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Aloha e uke friends,
A few expressed interest in my first-time uke project. Here's a picture of the roughed out neck and the fingerboard which I have notched, but not fretted yet.
http://www.imbris.net/~jessehj/pics/ukuneck.jpg
You can see my feeble attempt at an electric guitar-type headstock.
A few thoughts: I bought a (tiny) bandsaw that has been very helpful, and I already had a table saw, which helps with square cuts. Among the cheaper things I've bought are a rasp and file set, a saw for making fret cuts, a coping saw, a small ruler with 32nds and 64ths marked, a small bottle of Franklin Titebond II glue and lots of sandpaper. Things I already had that are important are a block plane, finish sander, a couple chisels and some clamps. This project uses lots of clamps, too, which I'm picking up at garage sales and thrift stores wherever I see them.
Side bending: I built a Fox-type side bender (see the "shop tips" at www.hanalima.com) but I'm too broke to buy the $85 heat blankets to go with it, so I'm going to revert to hand bending like classical luthiers have done it for years. More skill required, but less money.
Plans and assembly instructions: To guide me, I have Denis Gilbert's ukulele book, a comprehensive luthier guide called "Guitarmaking: Tradition and Technology" and what I've seen on the internet. Every source I see uses different methods, parts, assembly sequences and jigs. It can be very confusing. I would suggest the comprehensive text book, then a thorough search of the Hanalima website to familiarize yourself with all the steps and how they compare with the traditional guitar building techniques.
I would be interested in hearing from any other first-time/part-time builders about their experiences, too.
I'm going to Maui in June, and I want to take my new uke!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  03:59:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Bernie, your link to the scarf jig plans is bad.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

konacat
Aloha

36 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  11:17:22 AM  Show Profile
Jessie,

I remember seeing a way to make some inexpensive clamps for the tentalones. The used slices of a large plastic pipe and then made a horizontal cut in it. The result was real cheap C clamps using the natural compression of the plastic pipe. A couple of try’s should give you the proper width cut to give you the compression and the flexibility you would need. Sorry I couldn't be more accurate but I can't remember where I saw this.

Philip

Philip The only thing worse than my playing is my singing.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  12:19:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hi Philip,
I've seen the PVC c-clamps and will probably make some for the linings. But there are several places where you need serious clamps, some long, some short, some very deep throated. So I'm always on the lookout for more clamps.
Jesse
Go to Top of Page

Curtis Takahashi
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2003 :  6:29:16 PM  Show Profile
Aloha All,

About 6 years ago, I bought a soprano kit from the folks who produce the Nahenahe brank 'ukes ($95.00) the kit had pre-bent sides, and a notched fretboard. I'll have to look in the box again (never have built it, but SOMEday in my copious free time), but I believe that they supplied tuners and strings. Has anyone built one of these mahogany kits out there?

Mahalo mucho!

Curtis
Go to Top of Page

BernieB
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2003 :  6:14:22 PM  Show Profile
Craig, I just clicked on the link and it worked. Try keywording "Kathy Matsushita" in Google or some search engine. She's the luthier that has that plan on her website. Bernie
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2003 :  5:19:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
For those interested in the progress of my first-time uke project, here's another update photo:
http://www.imbris.net/~jessehj/pics/halfuke.jpg
Some more lessons learned: I built this with wood from a kit, and the top and bottom sets are almost 1/8" thick, which is thicker than it needs to be when it's braced like the plans show. Now that I've got it built, the sound box is such a tank that it might not make much sound. I'm pretty sure I could stand on it without hurting it. But there are many opinions on soundboard thickness and bracing and I think uke luthiers are all experimenting with their first ukes, as I am. Next one will be lighter!
Malama pono! Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2003 :  03:00:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Aloha uke friends,
Okay, one last update on my first-time tenor ukulele project, which is about done. Here's one last photo:
http://www.imbris.net/~jessehj/pics/finishuke.jpg
The finished uke, from the Hanalima 'ia kit, is all mahogany, except for the fretboard and bridge, and has no binding, rosette, inlays or other decorations. Since it was my first try, I decided to leave them off and just see if I could make an ukulele that would play. It plays okay, not great, but okay. After I finally found some compatible strings, it started to sound like a tenor uke should sound. I also installed a Schaller passive transducer, which installs in a snap, but needs some heavy equalizing to shape the sound. It has a four-in-one mandolin tuning machine which I bought cheap on Ebay.
For those of you thinking of building, you may be intimidated by the woodworking. Actually, the wood work is the easy and enjoyable part. Most mistakes you may make can be hidden or minimized. The hard and tedious part is the set-up, making the nut and bridge, then constantly detuning, pulling, filing and replacing them over and over until it's right, and even then, you'll probably have to do it over again when the action moves or the strings settle down.
When I compare the new uke to my old Kamaka tenor, though, the sound is tinny and weak. I built the new one without reducing the 1/8" top and bottom, and it's braced enough for me to stand on, so it's pretty quiet compared to the Kamaka, which is made of paper thin koa with almost no bracing inside.
I plan to build more, but I'll reduce thickness and bracing, and I'll add some binding and other touches.
If you're thinking of trying it, do it! The guys at Hanalima put out a great kit, and they answer questions promptly through their online forum at the website.
Me ke pumehana,
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2003 :  12:59:52 PM  Show Profile
Wow, a very sincere congratulations to you on completing your tenor. Where's the label??? Do you already have #2 in mind?

Pauline
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000