Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Homemade ukes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  02:10:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
There hasn't been much activity in this forum, so here's a look at a couple new yew/spruce tenor ukes I've built.

The round "yewk" in the above post was radically improved by sticking a long chisel inside the instrument and breaking out the heavy bracing. It sounds great now!
I hope to see some of you at George Kahumoku's camp on Maui later this month.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  11:24:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Nice work Jesse!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2004 :  09:47:07 AM  Show Profile
Mighty cool! I was wondering why you go for the "4 on a side" tuner arrangement - looks? Functionality?
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2004 :  12:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
Jesse, nice work, how do you cut the fret slots, do you buy necks already slotted, is there a template or some kind of special saw with the blades spaced appropriately?

Lee
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  04:10:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Aloha kakou! I just got back from a trip to Hawaii (first in a long time) and was able to see lots of great ukes. I even got some autographs on one of my round ukes. Led Kaapana and Bob Brozman both strummed my uke before signing and were complimentary, even though I hadn't even sanded the back yet.

quote:
Kihoalukid asked: how do you cut the fret slots, do you buy necks already slotted, is there a template or some kind of special saw with the blades spaced appropriately?

I use the old ruler/pencil combination to measure my frets. Then I cut it (before it's tapered) using a square and a simple dovetail saw that is the right thickness for the fret wire.
My ukes are fairly well intonated. I think that great intonation is a matter of measurement, experience, fret finish and perfect strings. Mine are good enough for most people. If I get a high dollar commission someday, I'll probaby buy the slotted fretboard.
quote:
kahalenahele asked: Mighty cool! I was wondering why you go for the "4 on a side" tuner arrangement - looks? Functionality?

I've been using four-on-a-side tuners because they're cheap, around $4.50 a set on Ebay. Buying individual tuners will cost you at least $16, much more for good ones. Since I'm just a beginner, I'll stick to cheap!
I've got a lot of ideas and plans for more uke now that I'm back on the mainland!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000