Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 An "oldie" re-viewed
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  10:20:22 PM  Show Profile
Somehow Kapono Beamer's album "For Sweetheart Grandma," slipped through the cracks for me -- recently got a copy and I'm hooked. Here are a few of my thoughts on this 1998 album:

Playing slack key if you don't sing can become a bit of a problem. Of course, that can also become an opportunity for some really creative work. That's part of why Kapono Beamer's "For Sweetheart Grandma," is such a treat for me. Here is SUPERB instrumental guitar, Superb slack key. Of course you might say "How can anyone miss playing an album of the music of Helen Desha Beamer?" Come on over and I'll play you some pretty bad versions of these wonderful songs. But Beamer sets the bar really high with his arrangements. Wonderful phrasing, passages so sweet you can't help but get chicken skin, chords spicey enough to balance out the sweetness. (This morning I was driving in a beautiful part of Santa Clara Valley - but one which I drive regularly and frequently don't really "see" - with this album on -- The musiv opened me so much that I had a "peak experience" - saw the beauty of the landscape like never before.) Not that every songs works equally well for me - the ones which emphasize more strumming are less effective for me -- but still VERY worth a listen.
The only caveat I could offer is for "slack key fundamentalists," those folk with the WWAAD bracelets. (What Would Aunite Alice Do?) I'm sure that they will feel this album leans for too much towards jazz. I guess it's a good thing that throughout the history of slack key the Masters have resisted all other influences.
If you don't have this album already - you're in for a real treat if you get a copy.
Raymond
San Jose

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2003 :  09:30:06 AM  Show Profile
If this is Kapono Beamer CD that has swept you away (wonderful stuff!), the true title is "Great Grandmother, Great Grandson":
http://www.mele.com/v3/info/1300.htm

Kapono Beamer is an outstanding guitarist -- slack key, as well as not -- and that he usually doesn't sing, allows that magnificent guitar work to be the "star".

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2003 :  1:02:25 PM  Show Profile
That, indeed, is the album - and has become my favorite of his catalog.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000