Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 ka uluwehi o ke kai
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  12:42:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha y'all,

here's a pretty specific question... i'm hoping that sarah, andy or anyone else who is good in hawaiian can point me in the right direction.

i've worked up a version of ka uluwehi o ke kai. i used the hapa version as a guide to my hawaiian. i'm having a hard time with the last line of the third verse. here's the third verse:

Ho`okohukohu e ka limu kohu
Ke kau i luna o nä moku la
`O ia moku `ula la e ho
`Oni ana ia `ö i `ane`i

how do you stress that last line? i think that hapa sings it:

`Oni ana ia `ö i `ane`i
^    ^      ^    ^ ^   ^^^

where ^ is a quarter note count.

is that right? isn't that breaking apart `ane`i?

thanks,
keith

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  3:00:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I'm mostly replying to say that I'm not good in Hawaiian. I barely know any. Hopefully Sarah, Aunty D or other qualified person can weigh in.

Formatting spaces between ^'s is very difficult. I edited your post to reflect what I think you were trying to express.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  3:15:11 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Keith,

The phrasing as Hapa sings it is pretty clear. The thing is, I think your lyric source has a typo.

What makes sense to me, and is in fact in the Hapa liner notes, is the words:

`Oni ana i `ö i `ane`i

As far as I've heard of it, " i `ö i `ane`i " is a pretty standard phrase, and using "ia" instead of "i" before the "`ö" doesn't make sense to me.

So, the downbeat accent is on the underlined vowels (syllables):

`Oni ana i `ö i `ane`i

Breaking apart `ane`i isn't an issue. You are simply accenting the proper syllable in the word. Predicting accents in the Hawaiian language is a whole subject of itself, but suffice it to say that in a multisyllable word, the penultimate syllable usually has the strongest stress.

Hope that is clear, at least if you go back and listen to Hapa.

me ke aloha,
Sarah

Edited by - Sarah on 11/19/2003 3:28:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  4:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
andy, thanks for fixing my post, and why didn't i use sarah's notation?

sarah, yes, that's clearer. i got the lyrics from huapala, not the liner notes. in listening to hapa, i had convinced myself that the a was being quickly glided over.

i couldn't find "i `ö i `ane`i " in pukui, what does it mean?

thanks,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2003 :  08:53:55 AM  Show Profile
Aloha mai e Keith,

Probably have to look under `ö or under `ane`i. By itself, i is a particle that is too general to include many examples.

Literally, it means "there, here" or " to there, to here", and is used to mean "everywhere," or "all over the place." The gloss for Hapa's lyrics interprets it to mean "to and fro"—more like the literal.

There's a related phrase, "mai `ö a `ö" - "from there to there" - again implying "everywhere," kinda like "as far as the eye can see."

aloha,
-Sarah
Go to Top of Page

AuntyD
Aloha

24 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  04:20:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyD's Homepage
Aloha ka~kou,

I thought I'd share a page that I put together a few years with excerpts from the newsgroup's discussion of this song:
http://www.geocities.com/~olelo/s-kauluwehiokekai.html

I love this song, and love the hula even more. The kumu hula dance to this one at the end of the hula festivals. All chop suey. So much fun to watch.

Me ke Aloha,
Aunty D http://hawaiianlanguage.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000