Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Surprise `ukulele
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2002 :  08:34:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Any one every get GAS without doing the shopping? In my case it is technically UAS (`Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome), because I've received two beautiful `ukes as gifts in the past 2 months!

Yesterday seemed like any other Wednesday until I got home to find a package at my doorstep. Inside the package was a Pro-Tec case. Inside the case was a beautiful soprano `uke with a redwood top and bubinga back and sides. The make is "Chimes Guitars and `Ukuleles" and has special meaning to me since my good friend built it with aloha.

Anyone know bubinga? I didn't, but it is a very attractive wood. I'll try getting a photo up later. Sounds great. The `uke really sings and is quite loud given its small soprano body.

What an incredible gift. I had to share with the cyber `ohana. And to my friend who builds beautiful instruments, "I am truly honored. Mahalo nui loa."

Andy

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2002 :  2:41:26 PM  Show Profile
To the luthier and the recipient:

There can be no better display of friendship. A work of art given by the artist so that art can be made with it.

Congratulations to you both.

Bubinga has been used a lot in luthiery over the last 20 or so years, especially in solid and hollow body electrics. I think you will find that it sounds, to use a joke phrase, "somewhere between rosewood and mahogany". I saw an acoustic guitar made of it and it is very striking. The redwood top should be, as our McCollum redwood tops and Atsihiko's Grimes redwood top are, just about exactly between sitka spruce and cedar, and that is no joke. Very sweet with the crispness of sitka but the mellowness of cedar (without any muddiness). I know you have a winner.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2002 :  8:55:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
There can be no better display of friendship. A work of art given by the artist so that art can be made with it.

Well said. And on that note, I will work hard to get my playing better so that I may play the beautiful music that this instrument wants to (and was made to) play.

Check out these pictures. Sorry about the flash. And don't get thrown off by the scale... it's a soprano `uke.

I am still in awe.

top1
top2
back

Aloha,
Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2002 :  10:48:47 PM  Show Profile
Andy,

That is a beautiful instrument, nicely detailed. You have a very good friend, indeed.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2002 :  1:53:02 PM  Show Profile
Andy,

That is one beautiful ukulele. If it is anything like its cousin, which I played, it sounds gorgeous too. And that bubinga is stunning-looking! What a wonderful gift from the heart.

Sarah

Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  03:03:32 AM  Show Profile

Eh how'zit Pauline! Sarah! Reid!

How're you all doing?

Wow! Andy! Braddah....az some friend you got! And the ukulele is beautiful! I was paying alot of attention to the back of it. I see images within the grain. I see two black spots that resembles eyes.
The grain also has the look of a lava flow! Looking longer at it, I also see the image of a he'e (Hawaiian squid). That bubinga wood is something!

Wow! As a child...my Mom use to tell me that babies were brought to doorsteps by a Stork. But brand new encased ukuleles? She didn't tell me about that one! You are so lucky to have a Luthier as a friend. You think he could send me one? Nah nah nah just kidding! Have fun playing and enjoying them!

Bill

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000