Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 pick question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

launie
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  09:33:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit launie's Homepage
I'm sure this must have already been discussed, but I haven't found anything in the archive, yet. Finger picks. In my other life, I use a flat pick. But with slack key, that isn't on. I have to use fingers, right? But my fingers are weak and feeble and it's impossible even for me sitting perched over the guitar to hear what I'm doing. I've been using some cheapo plastic finger and thumb picks, but to be honest, I hate the clicky, synthetic sound they produce. Does anyone have any ideas on what to use to get a warmer, friendlier sound?

Jamie

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  4:39:03 PM  Show Profile
Nails don't have to be long to get good sounds - in fact many professionals keep their nails fairly short -- you do have to mintain them, especially to make sure the edges are rounded, so there's no way to snag -- I know we've discussed this a couple of times in the past

As to picks...

If I had to use a pick, it would probably be "pro-picks" -- metal picks that have the pad of the finger exposed - that way you can at least et some feel and some of that softer sound.

Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  4:48:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I use Alaska Piks (www.alaskapik.com)...they work just like a natural extension of the fingernail and are plastic so they sound more like a fingernail than metal picks, which I hate. They're not for everyone, however...most friends who have tried them can't get used to them.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  10:37:13 AM  Show Profile
Lord Admirable Nelson...

Greetings and salutations! Long time no hear.

CmdrPiffle

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  10:58:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Yes, admirable. It's good to see you. It's been too long.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  12:13:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Logo thingy is screaming to get out. I wanted to get that officially up as of the new year but it didn't happen as you can see. Soon, though, soon - I promise everyone.

Well I wish you a much better 2004.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

launie
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  09:50:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit launie's Homepage
Thanks for all the suggestions. There's a lot of food for thought there. First of all, I think I'm going to try persevering using none at all. I much prefer the warmer sound finger tips make rather than the clicky plastic finger picks. If that doesn't work out after a month or so practicing, then I've made a note of the various pick suggestions and I'll try them.

Admiral's question about the guitar got me thinking a bit. Yes, generally speaking, I do play quietly. I use light gauge strings and light flat picks. But then, I usually accompany other musicians and singers who expect me to take a back seat. When I have to do anything like solo work (which fortunately is very rare), I tend to shift position: hold the guitar differently, move my whole body into a different stance - I find it the best way I can get any volume and clarity. It occurs to me, maybe I should also think along these lines with slack key. Maybe I'm sitting wrong, or my right hand could be in a better position. Time to experiment. I'll let you know how things go.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Jamie
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  4:59:44 PM  Show Profile
Plastic fingerpicks and thumbpicks don't have to sound "clicky". Like Craig, I use alaska picks on my index and middle fingers and a large Johnson thumbpick. I don't hear any clicks when I play. I've heard lot of players use fingerpicks without clicking.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

gypsysoul
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  02:30:31 AM  Show Profile
I swear by Alaska picks. I don't usually use the fingerpicks unless I've broken a nail, but I find the plastic thumbpick is becoming nearly indispensable as I don't really like to grow my thumbnail so long. For just raising the volume as you mentioned, the full Alaska fingerpick/thumbpick outfit will just about double your volume.

The metal picks are useless to me, giving only a terrible raspy sound on wound strings.

One thing about nail care I haven't seen mentioned: I found I have to be sure to take multivitamins daily, to keep the nail from getting brittle. Age is also a factor. If you work much with your hands, you'll learn new habits. I finally taught myself to reach for objects such as items in a toolbox, any metal object, etc, ONLY with my left hand. Otherwise I just break a nail in my weekend warrior activities.

doug
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  5:40:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I'm curious, although I'm happy enough with the Alaska Piks at the moment that I probably won't try it. Incidentally, one of the nice things about the Alaska Piks is that you can cut, shape, and file them with regular nail manicuring tools to get a fit that IS comfortable.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

gypsysoul
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  01:19:55 AM  Show Profile
You got my curiosity up now. Is that $25 just a one time cost or does it cost that much each time you need this redone? How long do they last? Something you could wear around a week or so without problems? Do you thing this same info might be out on the web somewhere, to save you from having to write it up yourself?

One time before I discovered Alaska picks, I broke my thumbnail and played for a few weeks by cutting a piece out of a margarine tub and taping it to my thumb. This sounds a whole lot better than that!

doug
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000