Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Guitars and strings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smiley
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  01:44:31 AM  Show Profile
Aloha all,
My lovely husband bought me a beautiful maple Taylor 612ce. I put extra light Elixirs on it, and it sounds great plugged in playing blues. However, I think it sounds a bit, well, whiny, played acoustically in open tunings. I am a beginner at slack key. Any suggestions? What guitars and strings are y'all using? Mahalo for your kokua.

janis

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  08:51:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Smiley,

The Taylor 612ce is the smallest Taylor size of the three primary options. In addition to the smaller diameter, it is also shallower from back to front than the other models. Taylor is actually deepening front to back on new models to come. The 600 series Taylors are maple backed instruments. Maple has a very clear sound, but lacks depth in the bass. It is an excellent recording wood because of the clarity. All these factors combine to produce a guitar that is comfortable, small, and clear, but lacking in volume and depth. Many people also say that Taylors generally lack bass compared to other instruments (e.g. Martins). Please don't get me wrong; I play a Taylor 614ce as my primary instrument.

The reason you can get a great sound out of the guitar when it is plugged in is because it is much easier to add bass than subtract it. Thus, you can make the instrument sound deeper when plugged in by adjusting the tonal controls and adding bass.

Elixir makes two types of light strings. The first is gauged from .12 to .53. This is pretty standard. You may want to experiment with the Elixir light tops/medium bottoms that are gauged from .12 to .56. These strings will yield more bass because of the wider diameter of the bass strings. Another option is to try non-coated strings (since Elixirs are coated). Non-coated strings will sound more "natural" but will not last as long. Some options are D'Addario or John Pearse. John Pears makes a bluegrass string set that also goes from .12 to .56.

Some websites of interest might be juststrings.com or stringsandbeyond.com. In the end, strings are relatively cheap, and the only to find out what you like is by trial and error. Good luck!

Darin

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

DaveG
Aloha

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  08:53:13 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the world of Taylor..I play an 810..anyway, for questions about your new guitar check out www.taylorguitars.com . It could be that the extra light strings do not place enough tension on the top, as the 610 is designed for light guage strings. Also if you stay with elixir strings try both the nanoweb and polyweb as they produce different sounds. Another great Taylor resource is the www.taylor-guitars.com website...good luck.

Edited by - DaveG on 02/03/2004 09:18:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  09:05:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Just noticed that you have extra-light strings on your guitar, not light gauge. Definitely try a set of light gauge strings. If the need the easy feel of extra-light, try extra light treble strings with light bass strings. Good luck!

Darin
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  10:10:08 AM  Show Profile
I agree with dl584 and DaveG. The whiny sound is probably caused by the (unintentional) bending of the extra lights while fretting. My personal choice for a Taylor x12 or x14 is Elixer Polyweb lights - they work for me on my Taylor.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

danimal
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  08:43:55 AM  Show Profile
Since you're using really light strings, this may not apply, but there are several "mixed" string sets that use medium-gauge bass strings and light gauge treble strings. The most noteworthy are the Pearse "Slack Key" strings, but if you want to save a little $$, there's a lot of manufacturers that make string sets called "Bluegrass Strings" (D'Addario, Martin, Webstrings) that are essentially the same mix of medium/light and are cheaper.

The Pearse strings, though, are still the gold standard in consistency and longevity (IMHO). I however, am experimenting w/ Webstring's Bluegrass sets ($2.85/set) and am mostly pleased....a little weaker in good bass tone, but stellar considering the quality/price.

Dan
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  2:05:52 PM  Show Profile
I put Elixir Nanoweb Mediums on my Taylor and tune it Taro Patch to F. However, I have a Dreadnaught and I have experimented with the Elixir mixed (medium lights). I like the heavier strings beause I don't use finger picks.
Go to Top of Page

67kawika67
Aloha

19 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  01:36:08 AM  Show Profile
Hey darin do you play for the band thick tubes. do you have long hair? ANyways Im into slack key and I want to know two things....\

Is the dean markley key largo a good guitar for slack key or in general?

and

Does anyone want to purchase a bass guitar in Hawaii or knows someone looking?

if so look at the classifieds section
Go to Top of Page

knute
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  08:52:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit knute's Homepage
I think that if you put heavier strings on your guitar it will sound better.
All voices in the choir are not baritone. There are tenors and altos and sopranos. Your guitar is more of an alto or a soprano. A guitar made of maple is never going to sound the same as a guitar made of mahogany. My main guitar is a brass bodied dobro. It has a magnificent sound, but it is very different than the sound of my mahogany 12 string. Your guitar has a soul, and I don't think you have found it yet. You need to be patient with your guitar, and in time you will discover its soul. You need to nourish and protect it. I am fortunate to have several mature guitars and they have taught me a lot of things.
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  3:01:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Hi Smiley,

Taylor has a nice article on their recommendations for strings.

http://216.120.92.69/global/pdfs/strings.pdf

Their entire reference page is here:

http://216.120.92.69/guitars/reference/techsheets.html

take care,
Darin

Darin
Go to Top of Page

smiley
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  03:36:10 AM  Show Profile
Thanks all. The mixed set, light bottoms and medium tops, seems like a great idea, and the Taylor website was helpful. Also, thank you Knute for your wisdom on developing the individuality of the instrument. (I do flamenco lessons, too!)

janis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000