Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 slack key 5-string banjo?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

banjonews
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2004 :  2:56:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit banjonews's Homepage
Aloha. Auntie Marie suggested I ask you all. I edit the Banjo Newsletter, a monthly magazine for 5-string banjo players, and this month we have an interview with Taj Mahal. He says in the interview that there are several people playing slack key (style) on the 5-string banjo, but he couldn't recall their names. Is Peter Noon one of them? D es anyone know anything about this? Any recordings? Any help on this would be appreciated, thanks

Donald Nitchie
www.banjonews.com
bnl @ tiac.net

Donald Nitchie
Banjo Newsletter
bnl @ tiac.net

Dana
Akahai

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2004 :  5:42:50 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Donald,

I think you mean Peter Moon. My understanding (from watching Peters magic of the ukulele video) is that he used to play blugrass/banjo back in the 60's...perhaps he may have played some on the banjo...Other than that I don't have any information on the subject....hope what little I know helps

Dana

Edited by - Dana on 02/06/2004 5:49:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  03:55:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Mika`ele McLellan mentions banjos in Hawaiian music in his article on the history of slack key, including a reference to photos from around 1900:

http://www.concentric.net/~hookupu/htdocs/mcintro.html

Cyril Pahinui, Gabby's son, is credited for playing banjo on at least two of his dad's albums.

I know the banjo has come up in previous discussions here, so you might try doing a search through the forums.

Finally, just for fun, listen to the version of "Dueling Banjos" on `Ale`a's "Welcome Home" CD that pits an Ukulele against a Banjo! There's a soundclip here:

http://www.mele.com/v3/info/1768.htm

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 02/07/2004 03:56:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  10:58:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Yes, do a search through the forums (and forum archives).

A quick search landed: There are other posts mentioning banjo too. Donald must have inspired the above post too, no?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  12:40:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
BTW, although I'm sure this is heresy to you Donald, I have a Line 6 Variax modeling guitar which does a mean banjo (to my ears, anyway)...I love playing slack key with a banjo sound. One of these days I'll record something with it and put it up on the SoundClick site.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  11:42:37 PM  Show Profile
Not too familiar with 5 string banjo for kihoalu. I play banjo, and just can't relate the sound with slack key. I know that Barry Flanagan plays a Tihitian banjo on some songs, but that is more akin to say a baritone mandolin.
I have however heard some very nice slack key on resonator guitars. To a casual listener, they can very much sound like a banjo.

If work ever stops beating me up, I'll submit some kihoalu on a
National Style O.

Uhh, or I could maybe ask Keith to show me how to submit it to Sound Click or something like that. Cause I'm not too sure how.

thank you,
drive - thru

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  02:29:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Piff, to submit to SoundClick just send it to me. I can handle any format from MP3 (ideal) to a cassette tape. Just let me know what you got.

BTW, the Variax will do a 1928 National Style 2 “Tricone” as well!

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 02/08/2004 02:33:31 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000