Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 initiation
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

matt
Aloha

3 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  10:35:31 AM  Show Profile
Hello everyone -

I'm waiting for my first uke to arrive. Aside from an old banjuke I've got that never stays in tune, I've never had my hands on one. Is this a 'strum-only' instrument, or is there picking to be done too (instructional material also pending arrival!)?

I ordered one of the Jim Belof (sp?) books, hope it's useful.

thanks!
-matt

trlau
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  12:12:47 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Matt,

A very common method is to sort of "strum, strum, plunk, plunk" i.e., working the melody while chomping chords from time to time. I strongly recommend that you pick up Moe Keale's "Aloha is a Part of Me, a Part of You" and give it a listen. It is well worth the investment and will make a wonderful addition to your CD library.

Moe's recording is probably one the best examples of a more sophisticated 'backyard' style that one often hears in the islands in contrast to the sort of solo virtuoso approach. If you are familiar with slack key artists, it is similar to say, George Kuo (more 'backyard') versus a Keola Beamer or Ozzie Kotani (solo virtuoso). Neither better or worse, merely different.

Malama Pono,

Ted Lau
(poina 'ole he Hawai'i 'oe)
mailto:trlau @ earthlink.net
Go to Top of Page

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  12:33:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
Aloha Matt,
You can most definately finger pick the ukulele. It is a real instrument just like many others. I agree with Malama Pono on the Moe Keale CD. That song in particular is great. After you get the CD and take a listen to the tune you can dowload the transcription/tab from my website. I transcribed it a while back. Welcome and good luck with your new found passion.
Dominator
www.rockslide.org/ukulele_tab.html

www.dominator.ukeland.com
www.myspace.com/dominatoruke
Practice makes Practice Perfect!
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  12:40:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Check out "Slack Key Ukulele" from Heeday Kimura:

http://www.ukulelebooksbyheeday.com/index.shtml

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

huiohana
Lokahi

115 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  05:39:03 AM  Show Profile
Howzit brada Matt,
You can learn to pick the uke and if you can get that hawaiian sound in the strumming...going sound "shaka". If you don't know, there is a group called the Ka'au Crater boys who had some recordings out who had a great ukulele player who almost always picked through his songs. His name is Troy Fernandez. He is very good. The group has since changed their lineup, so be sure to get the c.d.'s that he is on. You will not be disappointed. How are your learning coming along, now? You got your uke, now, right? Must be jamming... A hui hou...Keali'i K.

Edited by - huiohana on 04/09/2004 05:40:32 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000