Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Troubles Holding Tune on Ukeleles?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joe Stewart
Aloha

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2004 :  04:21:03 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Fellow Uker's!!!!

Just a quick question for any of you seasoned (i.e., "veteran") uke players out there . . .

I received a great little (Koaloha) soprano uke as a birthday present a year or so ago, and I absolutely love it's sound, but I've only recently had the time to start learning this awesome little jewel. And unfortunately, while beginning to learn, I've noticed that it has a particularly difficult time holding tune (i.e., the tune seems to slip over a fairly brief period of time (30-minutes), with or without playing it).

The instrument has these rather "trick" looking (and supposedly locking) geared ivory tuners, but the tune still degrades quickly, and although the problem applies to most (or all) of the four strings, it seems worst on the third (C) and fourth (G) strings.

Does anyone have any meaningful insights for me? Is this phenomenon characteristic of ukeleles in-general? Are the Koaloha-brand tuners inferior to others? Should I consider replacing the present tuners?

Mahalo in advance for any insights provided, but in the meantime, color me . . .

"Konfounded in Kailua"!

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2004 :  1:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Nylon strings take a fair amount of time to "stretch out" and become stable, or I should say more stable. It's a normal part of dealing with any instrument that uses these strings.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2004 :  1:55:44 PM  Show Profile
It could be the tuners themselves. If you have friction tuners, there's a little screw on the back that controls the amount of friction used to hold the tuners in place. It's a delicate balancing act to get them set perfectly (not too tight, not too loose) but I seem to find a happy medium on all 5 of my ukes.

Do the tuners have the big "dial" on the back, or a screw?
Go to Top of Page

Joe Stewart
Aloha

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  5:29:43 PM  Show Profile
The tuners are the standard (Koaloha brand) ivory/ivoroid type with large flathead stainless-steel locking screws in back which cannot be tightened any further. Hence, it's not occurring by way of tuner(s).

As for "string stretch" or the "seasoning" of the instrument's nylon strings, no, I'm afraid it has nothing to do with that either. I own (and have been playing) vintage acoustic nylon guitars for over thirty-years, so I'm quite familiar with this rather "basic" concept. The current strings are 12-15 months old. They're well-seasoned!

Moreover, if the problem stemmed from simple string stretch, all four strings would fade, not just two (as stated), and that's not what I'm experiencing with this instrument. So, the answer lies elsewhere, but mahalo nui loa for the feedback.
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  02:46:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Hello, how are you? Maybe it's the uke itself? A change in temperature or humidity can really throw of a tuning. I perform outdoors but my dressing room is kept sometimes 20 degrees below the outdoor temperature (usually 65 vs 85 degrees). The expansion/ contraction of my guitar/uke is immediate and requires me to retune. I have no problems with staying in tune when playing in a stable environment. I play a nylon string Takamine Hirade. Stay healthy and happy now...alohas all.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  1:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hi Joe,
I have several ukes, including three I built myself, with all types of tuners on them. I have to retune, at least a tiny bit, every time I pick one up, especially on the ukes with friction tuners. I think small guage short strings are more sensitive to slight changes and go slightly out tune very easily.
Since most of us are guitar players who tune string to string, sometimes we end up chasing around the strings to find a balanced tuning.
Some ukes have heavy strings and high string tension, which a lot of us like, and that contributes to the problem. Uke usually vary in tension from string to string, and often it's that darn third string that goes flat on mine.
Fortunately it only takes a few seconds to bring it back in tune.
I know my comments don't help your problem, but the joy of playing isn't diminished by those wandering strings.
Here's my newest homemade uke:
http://www.imbris.net/~jessehj/ukulele/finishdolphinuke.jpg
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

chica
Aloha

Germany
10 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  5:06:14 PM  Show Profile
I have a friend from Palau who plays the uke. Imagine how happy I was to hear that light and airy music floating down the hall when I arrived in Germany! Anyway, Meluat is leaving soon, and I'd like to get him a gift. He loves his uke. Any suggestions?
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  01:08:20 AM  Show Profile
Gutenabend, Chica. Wie geht's? Aquila Strings have become very popular here in California. People just love them. They come from Italy. I bet your friend would love to have a couple of sets.
Auf wieder sprechen...
Julie (Ich bin Hollanderin und spreche aber ein klein bischen Deutsch)
Go to Top of Page

chica
Aloha

Germany
10 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  09:48:57 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Julie!
Wow! I've been here in Babenhausen Hessen for over a year and you sprechen more Deutch than me! Whereabouts in Holland? I am going this spring for the tulips (and Van Gogh Museum). Please feel free to email me with any suggestions on where to visit! AND, I'm gonna hit Italy too, so Meluat will have a couple of sets of strings to take back to his island with him. Thanks for the great tip!

Mahalo and Tschuss!
Corrina
cmari7 @ excite.com
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  1:42:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Aloha e Corinna,
I play uke, too, and I think a great gift would be any CD or DVD of Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. He inspired so many uke players with his quiet style.
I recently bought a DVD of "Hawaiian Rainbow", the 1988 Hawaiian music documentary. It's a bit dated, but gives a taste of various ukulele styles (and some history) from people like Auntie Genoa Keawe, the Ho'opi'i Brothers and others. And it's only about $10 from Amazon.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Chango
Aloha

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2004 :  4:31:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chango's Homepage  Send Chango an AOL message  Send Chango a Yahoo! Message
my silly oscar schmidt does this too and I had always been wondering if it was just mine or if all ukes were like this.

oh and since we're speaking dutch, één bier tevreden

one dirty haole
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2004 :  9:49:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi Joe Stewart,

You said, "The tuners are the standard (Koaloha brand) ivory/ivoroid type with large flathead stainless-steel locking screws in back which cannot be tightened any further. Hence, it's not occurring by way of tuner(s)." Italics mine.

This sounds like it is a tuner problem to me. My understanding is that tightening the screws on tuners is an easy does it process, a quarter turn at a time. If they are cranked all the way down, something is wrong. I have no idea whether they can be repaired or must be replaced.

So, have you been living with this problem for the month since you posted, or have you taken action? What did you do?

Aloha,

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Craig
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  2:12:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi, guys. New member from sunny San Diego.

I got a Koaloha soprano the last time I was in Honolulu from the Ukulele House (or maybe it's House of Ukuleles... I forget). Anyway, it's a beautiful little instrument.

I can get it in tune with itself but it's hard to keep it in tune with a guitar. I guess due to the shorter scale length it will fluctuate from the guitar's tuning. Not by much, mind you, but by a teeny little bit... which I think is even more maddening.

Anyone else experience this? Suggestions?

Craig P.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  3:18:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
julie, du kannst Deutsch un auch die Hula tanzen? toll! how come you weren't part of the hui doing "hamburg by the sea" last year?

um, tuning ukes. all my ukes are wild creatures and are hard to keep in tune even with well stretched strings. i have a steel stringed one that is the exception to the rule. i end up tweaking the string often. does anyone *not* have to do this?

gifts for uke players: i've loved the first two issues of the "ukulele occasional", on sale at jim beloff's "flea market music" site. jim's books are nice too for a wide range of abilities. umm, my friend's mel bay book "understanding ukulele chords" (reviewed here) would be a great gift for someone a bit advanced. if you *really* like your friend a lot, you might look for a black bear uke on google, or go visit ko`olau ukes...

GCEA, keith

Edited by - marzullo on 05/06/2004 3:52:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  5:22:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I just put new Aquilas (with a low G) on my ukulele and the 1st, 2nd, and 4th strings settled fairly quickly after some stretching but the 3rd is being a lot more stubborn.

It wouldn't be so bad if they all drifted out of tune together!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000