Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Goin' to Kauai for a Uke
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

StillBill
Aloha

3 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  1:11:37 PM  Show Profile
Aloha,

I recently became interested in Hawaiian music after hearing Patrick Landeza and Cyril Pahinui in concert. I am working on my first slack-key tunes now. I am going to Kauai next week for a week, and plan to pick up a ukelele. I would like to take a daily lesson while I'm there to get started. Any suggestions as to where to go or who to contact?

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  10:56:17 AM  Show Profile
Aloha StillBill,
Hal Kinneman lives on Kaua`i and gives lessons. The phone number that I have is 808-821-1000. This may put you into the web site where he advertises (www.trykauai.com). That is another way to contact him. Also, try to make it to Hanalei on Sun to see Doug and Sandy McMasters (3:00 at the Hanalei Community Center) for their weekly slack-key performance.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  3:36:41 PM  Show Profile
From Hal's website
Hal Kinnaman
POB 118
Hanapepe HI 96716
Telephone: 808 335 0322

Raymond Rapozo makes wonderful ukuleles (but $$$) on Kauai (just north of Kapa`a).
Check out http://koaukulele.com/

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  3:45:53 PM  Show Profile
The following are stores which retail `ukuleles here on Kaua`i:

In Kalaheo -- Scotty's Music.

In Kapa`a -- Larry's Music and the brand new Bounty Music.

In Hanalei -- Hanalei Video & Music (Ching Young Village).

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

StillBill
Aloha

3 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  11:02:57 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip about Doug and Sandy. Doug is a master of the slack key, and full of stories. I went to their weekly performance at the community center, and also heard them play at sunset on the beach.

I ended up buying a Lanikai uke. I found a teacher, Kenny Rapozo (brother of Raymond the Uke maker). He's a good teacher, and he helped pick out the instrument - a concert model, curly Koa, geared tuners, nice open sound. Its not the Hawaiian-made instrument I was looking for, but know what? I like it and am having fun with it. My favorite song so far? Ulili e. Floored a few people out there when I started playing San Tropez (Pink Floyd).
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  4:31:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha e stillbill,

congratulations on your new ukulele! i think that a lanikai is a great choice for someone starting out. some of us find ukuleles, umm, addictive is the word. either that or they're breeding while i'm out of the house. anyway, pink floyd on the uke is a great idea. i like doing mississippi john hurt tunes myself. ukuleles are especially designed for screwing around.

i've not posted this in awhile, which is sort of fun for new ukistsas: http://www.cse.ucsd.edu/users/marzullo/CrazyG.pdf is a tab of a version of the old ukulele favorite "crazy G". a literal soulless midi of this tab is at http://www.cse.ucsd.edu/users/marzullo/CrazyG.mid . if you play this fast and with some passion (and a few theatrics) you might floor a few other people too.

Keith

Edited by - marzullo on 04/28/2004 9:08:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  7:11:51 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo for the tab, Keith!
The midi link didn't work tho. Maybe just my computer... or it's user.

Congrats on your new ukulele, stillbill.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  8:13:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi stacy,

auwe, i think the problem is on your side: the permissions are okay and it plays via my web browser just fine (RealAudio is my plugin).

keith
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  8:35:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi Keith,
Hmmm, that's funny... I've got RealAudio too, and when I click da link, it says, this page cannot be found. Thanks anyhoo!
As Cmdr Piffle sez, My computer mocks me!
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  9:07:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
oh! looks like the "." got added to the URL. try

http://www.cse.ucsd.edu/users/marzullo/CrazyG.mid

... guess it's true about those who can't do teach or something

keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  9:55:04 PM  Show Profile
Success! Hee Hee ~ midis are so goofy, but they sure help you learn a piece. Maybe midis are so dorky so that even an absolute beginner can gain confidence by sounding better than them.
Thanks Keith!
Go to Top of Page

grommet
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  10:32:06 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Raymond Rapozo makes wonderful ukuleles (but $$$) on Kauai (just north of Kapa`a).
Check out http://koaukulele.com/

I just got a standard 4 string concert from Raymond Rapozo (Koaukulele.com) recently, its really a nice piece and excellent craftmanship.. I really like it.. to compaire with a "G-string" concert I also have, the "Koaukulele" has little more mellow tone while the "G-string" has a brighter almost louder tone. Ahhh.. I gotta go back to Kauai soon since I grew up there.

Your signature has reached the limit of awesomeness...
Go to Top of Page

finemc28
Aloha

14 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  12:48:11 PM  Show Profile  Send finemc28 an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by marzullo

aloha e stillbill,

i've not posted this in awhile, which is sort of fun for new ukistsas: http://www.cse.ucsd.edu/users/marzullo/CrazyG.pdf is a tab of a version of the old ukulele favorite "crazy G". a literal soulless midi of this tab is at http://www.cse.ucsd.edu/users/marzullo/CrazyG.mid . if you play this fast and with some passion (and a few theatrics) you might floor a few other people too.

Keith,
Thanks for posting this again. I down loaded it the last time you posted it and have floored several people with it. My wife and I do it as a ukulele duet.

Anyone in the SF bay area that would like some help learning this can contact me.

Mike
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000