Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Volume Control on Extension Speaker Cabinet`
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

milikona
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  01:15:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi,
Anyone out there in the Taro patch, know of a way to control the overall volume level of an extension speaker cabinet?

I have a SWR Cal Blonde and also use a Genz-Benz SHen 100 and they both have a Extension speaker output jack. The extension cabinets I found that are available from Carvin and GenzBenz only have a L-PAD to control the level of the Tweeter, however no volume control to adjust the overall volume. Where I need to place the extension speaker, requires that it be at lower volume then my main amp.
SWR has a powered extension, with a vol control, however it is expensive and I don't need a powered speaker.

Anyone have any wiring diagram on how to hook up a volume control? Or is there an external box that will accomplish this.

Thanks.....

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  02:05:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Chances are pretty good that Radio Shack has a solution.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Dana
Akahai

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  1:01:08 PM  Show Profile
Aloha milikona,
From my rock n roll daze......The problem is that you need to reduce the power coming into the speaker in a manner that is consistant with the way a speaker maintains the load on the apmplifier......something akin to a variable resistive load...if that makes any sense....the only thing I know that would have done something like that is something that was called a "Power Soak". It lets you crank up your amp so that you could get a the overdriven harmonics..and allowing you to reduce the output volume...so that you could crank up your Marshall to 8 without getting evicted :-), anyway that is basically what I think you need to do, just in line with the extension cab...

Dana
Go to Top of Page

milikona
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  1:25:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi Dana,
When you refer to "Power Soak"... what is this? Is this some sort of volume pedal or stomp box? Any brand name?

The SWR Cal Blonde and GenzBenz max speaker load is 8 ohms. I assume a variable resistive load is a "volume control". If so, then the concern is which is the max and min resistive value to maintain that Max 8 ohm load, so that I do not overdrive the main amp.

Thanks,
Milt
Go to Top of Page

Dana
Akahai

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  7:13:48 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Milt,

If you do a google search on "power soak" on the internet, you will find what I am talking about...however I am probably making things more complicated than necessary...maybe radio shack does have a simple solution. Sorry 'bout that..it will do it, but it may not be what you need.

Dana
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000