Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Artist Peggy Chun needs our help
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2004 :  3:54:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Aloha everyone -

(Please forgive this posting for not having to do directly with slack key. But I wanted to reach a number of folks who know and love Peggy and her delightful artwork.)

Our beloved Peggy Chun, who many of you remember from earliier Aloha Music Camps, has been battling ALS for several years. I recently learned that her support group, the freinds of Pegggy Chun, needs to raise an additional $20,000 this year to cover her medical expenses.

Peggy's daughter-in-law, Kimi, says:

Donations for Peggy's medical expenses
can be sent to

3115 Alika Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96817

Checks can be made payable to "Friends of Peggy Chun" - unfortunately,
donations are not tax deductible.

To learn more, visit her website at http://www.peggychun.com/

Born in Lawton, Oklahoma, award-winning artist Peggy Chun has been a resident of Hawaii since 1969. Peggy's colorful and whimsical artwork captures the "spirit of Aloha" that is Hawaii.

In the spring of 2002, Peggy was diagnosed with ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease, the same disease that plagued her mother and her twin sister, Bobbie. Bobbie, who passed away in 1987, was a well-established artist herself and was the inspiration for Peggy to pick up her first paintbrush in 1989. She has been creating ever since.

Currently, there is no cure for ALS. But this debilitating motor neuron disease has yet to slow Peggy down. Though wheelchair bound, Peggy continues to paint daily. When the disease weakened Peggy's painting hand in early 2003, she determinedly taught herself to paint with her left hand. You will see a tiny "LH" signed next to her signature indicating pieces that were done entirely with her left hand. Recently, she has also lost the strength in her left hand. But, no problem there for Peggy…you will see a tiny "T" signed on images that she has painted with her teeth!

Mahalo!

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2004 :  12:41:09 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Mark, I have been wondering how Peggy is doing, but it is so difficult to ask without sounding insensitive. Thanks for the update.
I do love her, and as she is part of our o'hana, I'll do whatever I can. Me ke aloha pumehana, Julie

Oh, and by the way: music and art go hand in hand, no need to feel you have to separate the two...

Edited by - Julie H on 07/04/2004 12:42:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2004 :  06:33:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

(Please forgive this posting for not having to do directly with slack key. But I wanted to reach a number of folks who know and love Peggy and her delightful artwork.)

Hi Mark,

No apologies necessary. Peggy is an incredible person and a close friend to the slack key community. Thanks for passing on Kimi's message.

For those who do not know Peggy, you may recognize her water colors... one featured on a Hawaiian `ukulele instruction book, one on a Reyn Spooner aloha shirt, and one on an Aloha Music Camp shirt.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Maureen
Aloha

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2004 :  5:49:49 PM  Show Profile
Dear Mark:
Thank you for the info about Peggy. Though I have not met her in person, I have learned of her, her whimsical art, and her sweet spirit through Keola Beamer.

I want to add that if anyone knows Stevie Guitar (Sparks), he is also entering the latter stages of ALS and recently send out his last E-mail that he will write to all of us. It was a very deeply moving event for me.

Here is an earlier photo of Stevie with Keola Beamer, George Kahumoku and Ozzie Kotani, when he was feeling stronger:
http://home.earthlink.net/~leisurescience/index.html

Stevie said he is still reads ALL of his message board posts and E-mail, and appreciates his friends deeply, but he currently can no longer write back. I'm kinda hinting for people to write and show him a whole lot of Aloha currently, because it really means a lot to him!!!

Mahalo everybody,
Maulena (Maureen) in Phoenix

Me ke aloha,
Maulena
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  5:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Here's some more info from Peggy's daughter-in-law, Kimi:

We would like to offer you another incredible opportunity to give
support to Peggy by helping to raise money for her nursing care and medical
supplies. With our HMSA funding coming to an end for the year, our goal is
to raise enough to cover Peg's $10,000 monthly medical expenses for the
remainder of 2004.

Like last year, there will be a limited number of opportunities available
for you to own a Peggy original watercolor :a breathtaking new original painted lovingly (with her teeth!). The painting
is titled "Merci Bouquet" - and it's an expression of Peggy's gratitude for
all the love and support she has received and continues to be blessed with.
The original has been beautifully framed by our friends out at Sunshine Arts
Hawaii.

These opportunities will be offered for a suggested gift of $20. The drawing
for the original will be held August 15th. Opportunities are available for
any or no donation. If your name is drawn, you need not be present to
receive the original.

Information and opportunities are available at Peggy Chun Art Studio and
Gallery. You will find sign out sheets and opportunities on the "Peg's Legs
Table" in the gallery. If you have any questions, you may call the Peggy
Chun office at 808-595-8435 or Dee Dee Letts at 808-237-8980 or drop us an
email. Checks should be written to "Friends of Peggy Chun".

Donations may be sent to:

Friends of Peggy Chun
C/o Dee Dee Letts
PO Box 524
Ka'a'a'wa, Hawai'i 96730

Our warmest thanks and aloha,

The Peggy Chun Ohana

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  2:18:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

Like last year, there will be a limited number of opportunities available for you to own a Peggy original watercolor :a breathtaking new original painted lovingly (with her teeth!). The painting is titled "Merci Bouquet" - and it's an expression of Peggy's gratitude for all the love and support she has received and continues to be blessed with.
Here is an image of the Merci Bouquet that Mark emailed me today. Much aloha to the Chun family.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  2:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
I'm posting this at the behest of Peg's Legs, Peggy Chun's wonderful support group. Here's a great way to show your support... and who doesn't love a good cookbook?

The Peg's Leg's Cookbook is finally here! Spread the word!

Cookbooks are retailing for $20 and they are available through Peggy Chun
Art Studio and Gallery.

Please make checks payable to "Peggy Chun, Inc." -
proceeds from the Cookbook will help defray medical costs for Peggy.

Please
email/call us if you have any questions...

The Chun Ohana

Peggy Chun, Inc.
3115 Alika Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96817
808-595-8435
kimi @ hi.net
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  2:31:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Mark,

Thank you for posting the info.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000