Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Insider trading...Makana, Hapa and Hi'ilawe!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2004 :  05:10:42 AM  Show Profile
This was a magical day for us. I had no idea what I was in for on the drive down...
Wow.
The Maui Slack Key festival was ALL MAGIC, and a great capstone to George and Nancy's camp.
I loved EVERYTHING...didn't even know that Barry Flannagan and Hapa would be there; or anything about Makana!

I spoke with Barry about the Hi'ilawe recording with IZ (a taropatch topic from earlier)...
Guitars were recorded by Barry after IZ's passing.
Three guitars (oh that FAT Hapa sound), one in C (C,G,D,G,B,E){for ending only?}
One in standard capoed to 5th fret (or 2nd fret for opening?), and one in Dropped D (capo must have been at 7th fret for A).

AND, there WERE stops to reset and punch at the modulation, so capos were probably reset, and C guitar engaged.
I didn't get 100% of all capo changes--if any...I was trying to not abuse a great priviledge.

He was very gracious and kind with time and explanation...
--and at first I was being Rain Man--he was explaing tunings backwards (High to Low--is that Scottish?)

Anyway, told him to please come to Denver next tour--wouldn't Red Rocks be great?!
And then he gave Karen his Lei! It's in the fridge!

So what is the release date for Hapa's new CD? It's getting quite a bit of play around Maui and Honolulu.

And then Makana knocked my Birkenstocks off...!

"Ke'u Lei Awapuhi" (what great renditions!) --the two versions appear to be in a open D (D,A,D, F#, A, D) relationships (tuned to Eb on Ki'Ho'Alu; and capoed to E on "Koi Au". ( my best guesses at this point).
Makana mentioned using both D, Eb, and Taro tunings at the CD booth). And also Dropped D.

So, does anyone have a good guess to the tuning for the "Koi" trilogy in D on "Koi Au"?

Think open D is possibility, but also could be Taro/D cross for the Key of D...strong movement to IV chord in da bass, perhaps a clue there, Watson.

Thanks to Cyril for the afternoon session under the tent, exploring open D while the blessings fell!
It's a fun and interesting switch... with enormous cross-over from Taropatch patterns.

Sorry about the multi-subject.
G

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2004 :  06:45:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Gordon,

Hey you must not have seen my reply back in March. You can compare notes at http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1454

It was great meeting you in Maui. Aloha!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2004 :  6:25:03 PM  Show Profile
How did I miss Barry Flanagan? He is one of my favorite musicians. I am furious! It may have been the first Sunday night while I was waiting in the airport for my guitar to turn up? Or the last Sunday when I had to leave early for the airport?

Just to reitterate, Nancy and George's camp was a fabulous experience in every way. There was also a wonderful spirit of ohana among the campers and staff. I am looking forward to next year

Aloha kakou!
Jeri

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2004 :  11:40:41 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Jeri:

It was that early flight the last Sunday that cost you his performance - HAPA was up late in the venue at the Maui Slack Key Festival.
Give my regards to Kona (auwe, missing it already) and take a dip at Magic Snads for me <BEG>
Was great to meet ya, ou hui hou.

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2004 :  05:37:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Jeri,

We didn't quite meet but my wife was glad to meet you. Aloha!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2004 :  8:01:58 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Andy...
Thanks all...
Andy, Just checked your post of 3/1/04 --I'd missed it.
It helped to get that second source, because I was trying to get the most essential info at festival, without asking for an hour explanation...

It didn't occur to me that standard at the 5th creates a uke-like setup...and that is where a lot of the voicings magic possessed me.

BUT were the "subliminal" Bach licks in Standard, capoed at second fret? (for A Major)
I swear that Barry mentioned Dropped D...

Anyway, I couldn't be happier (or Hapaier?) about what we got on this thread.
The feel and sound of those solo voicings was the obsession.

Sometimes, I try to do things "according to Hoyle".
Then at others, I'm a bit of a Deadhead!

In the bigger mix, "It's all good!"
G
P.S. Any thoughts on Makana Tunings for now?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000