Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Led Kaapana article in SJ Mercury News
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2004 :  4:44:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
There's an article about Led Kaapana in today's San Jose Mercury news. It's short but well written. You may have to register to read it:
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/entertainment/music/9075743.htm

Led makes a couple of interesting observations about making a living as a musician:

quote:

''At one time music was my full-time job; now I've got a day job... There's so much karaoke, there's not too many rooms where they have entertainers play. Before, I'd play at a nightclub for five or six nights, but now it's only one night a week.''

When he's not traveling, Kaapana performs at Kapono's in Honolulu's Aloha Tower, which is one of the Big Island's last outposts for slack-key guitarists. He spends his days working as a mechanic for a security company's fleet of vehicles, a job that provides essential benefits.

``I love it because I get medical,'' says Kaapana during a phone interview from some friends' house in Pacifica. ``Most of the entertainers back home don't have medical. Then when something goes wrong, they get sick, and they have bills. And they have to make a fundraiser; everybody goes and helps them.''

Gary

hakeedude
Aloha

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2004 :  8:28:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit hakeedude's Homepage
"When he's not traveling, Kaapana performs at Kapono's in Honolulu's Aloha Tower, which is one of the Big Island's last outposts for slack-key guitarists."

Wow-how'd they move that whole tower to BI???

other than that, nice article. Thanks.

Michael
Hawai`i Pictures including 2004 Aloha Music Camp at: http://community.webshots.com/user/hakeedude
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000