Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Isa Lei
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

denmajp
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  9:05:02 PM  Show Profile
Could someone help me out with this?

Is every note of the bass motif in "Isa Lei" played with the thumb?

Aloha,
Nalomeli

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  9:33:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi jason,

which version of "isa lei" are you working on? i think that in beamer's version you play the motif with your thumb.

aloha, keith
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  02:46:33 AM  Show Profile
Ummmm, Keith?
When don't you play the base line with your thumb??? :::scratching head, looking puzzled::::

cathe
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  10:23:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi cathe,

when you're trying to show off? i haven't played keola's version in a long time, but if its a bass motif, then i'd use my thumb. one of the versions of isa lei i've seen doesn't have a bass motif, though.

i love that song; makes me want to go to fiji if only to feel sad about leaving it.

Bau nanuma, na nodatou lasa,
Mai Suva nanuma tiko ga...

bula vinaka, keith
Go to Top of Page

garson
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  9:41:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit garson's Homepage
You guys aren't going to belive this but Isa Lei is not really a fijian song. It is from Tonga, and has the title: Si'i Lile Viola Lose Hina (Dearest Lilly, Violet and White Rose). See the album "The Music of Tonga" National Geographic Society for a more detailed explanation. By the way, I learned Isa Lei from this record, and only later discovered that slack kedy players call it Isa Lei.

Jim Garson
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2004 :  10:07:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi jim!

that's interesting, i'll look for "the music of tonga"! if it isn't originally fijian, it certainly has been warmly adopted - i get a few messages a year from folks with fiji ties regarding isa lei.

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000