Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hawaiian Language and Landeza Learnin' stuff...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2004 :  12:38:40 AM  Show Profile
Hi gang,
I need to pick up Landeza dvd, and also still am in market for Hawaiian Language larnin...
Best recommendations were???
There's "...Instant Immersion..." and also a new one by one of Keola's family/or ?,
Where's the best place to buy...for price AND artist support!
Also, does Keokki Kahumoku have any slack key teaching materials?
He's really a good communicator/teacher.
What's the most cost
Mahalo,
Gordon

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2004 :  02:31:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Aloha Gordon!

I have both Patrick's and Keoki's dvd's, and they are excellent (especially for those who are beginning slack key instruction or want to cross over from a different style). I like the dvd format so much better because you can slow the speed down and rewind easily. They also both have the split screen display, so you can see what both hands are doing (a VERY nice feature!!). I especially liked many of the exercises they give you to practice the arpeggios, chord progressions, picking, strumming, vamps, and turnarounds (all in Taropatch tuning). Above all, they were very easy to follow and very encouraging (which I loved the most)!

You can purchase them via the "Video" forum right here on Taropatch, which will link you up to the appropriate places to order. Since I purchased my copies when they came here to Oregon for their show a few months ago (and before I ever heard of Taropatch.net), I don't know what it costs on their website. I imagine it may be a bit cheaper. Both are well worth the cost and have inspired me to pick up slack key and play seriously!!! Mahalo to both Patrick and Keoki for making very nice instructional material for us beginners!

For those who want something a little bit more challenging, George Kahumoku Jr. has a dvd as well. It has some nice tunes in D Wahine. Then there's the killer Led Kaanapana/Bob Brozman video as well as Keola's (he has his on dvd now). Those will keep you on your toes!

One comment I have is that both Patrick's and Keoki's dvd's didn't provide any tabs, music or chord charts. It could've been that many of the tunes were originals and probably not necessary to have them in order to follow the instruction. However, it would've been great to be able to make sure I was plucking the right strings and getting my alternating bass lines in.

As for the Hawaiian language resources, you got me. Maybe other Taropatchers can help you there. I only know of that funny book about how to talk Pidgin, which is probably not the most appropriate resource to use (but it's very entertaining!).

Good luck with your search for slack key and other instructional materials!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2004 :  02:38:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Gordon,

Instant Immersion Hawaiian is the Beamer one. One of the instructors on the audio CD's is Kaliko Beamer-Trapp, Auntie Nona's hanai son.

Regarding Keoki, check Keoki Kahumoku: Introduction to Ki ho`alu. Buy it at http://www.thegtw.com - Bruce Lamb produced Patrick and Keoki's DVDs so you can pick up Patrick's there too.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2004 :  02:43:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by MahinaM

One comment I have is that both Patrick's and Keoki's dvd's didn't provide any tabs, music or chord charts.
Maggie,

You can get the tabs that go along with Patrick's DVD. The tabs are on a CD for $7 at http://www.thegtw.com/PatrickLandeza.ivnu

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2004 :  5:05:14 PM  Show Profile
Language...

There are a number of different ones that I know of. The 'Instant Immersion' 8 CD set by Topics. A Single CD, also by topics. 'World Talk', which is a set of 3 CD/DVD, which is a computer-based learning experience.

Kaliko worked on ALL of these. The 8-CD set is awesome, as evidenced by the extensive discussion in a different forum here on TaroPatch. Kaliko said the single CD has parts of the 8-CD set...I guess for people who want to 'sample' the language rather than jumping in (altho the single usually sells for only $5 less than the entire 8-CD set).

The others are kinda fun, a little silly at times, with graphics and such...maybe aimed at keiki, but I liked 'em.

I got my set from Auntie Maria at mele.com. I don't know if she still has them...it isn't obvious from the web site. Or, you can use Admin's click thru link to go to Amazon.

Malama pono

Eric

Puna
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2004 :  5:39:40 PM  Show Profile
I would try to get in touch with Kaliko (there is a contact link at www.panpolynesia.net) and see if you can get the CDs directly from him. He apparently gets nothing from the sale of the CD sets unless you buy them from him, in which case he gets to pocket $5 of the cost. He was paid (what I consider to be) an absurdly small amount of money for the time and effort he put into the CDs, but I suppose that his focus is on promoting the language and not necessarily getting rich doing it. Still, I would much rather see the profit go to him rather than Amazon...

Another fun language/music resourse is the Nahanahe radio program that ran last summer and is archived at http://nahenahe.ksbe.edu/
You can also get an 8 CD set of the programs for $20. I transferred the shows to my iPod and listen to them while waiting for the kids to finish up at their various camps and practices - much fun!.

Deb
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2004 :  6:26:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Aloha Andy:
Thanks for the resource for Patrick's tabs! Gosh, I have learned so much since joining Taropatch. This last thread about the Hawaiian language immersion is great information too. You guys are the greatest!!

Mahalo,
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

donley
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2004 :  10:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit donley's Homepage  Send donley a Yahoo! Message
I want to second Debbie's suggestion. You can buy the Hawaiian Instant Immersion cd's from Kaliko. You can reach him at www.drmacnut.com

Donley
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  10:42:34 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Gordon,

As with a lot of things, 'a'ole pau ka 'ike i ho'okahi hälau. Not all knowledge is under one roof. I've found that having a variety of different language texts to refer to really helps when you don't quite understand something; you'll find it explained in a different way in a different book, and you can put the pieces together.

Another great language instruction set is available here:
http://www.olelo.hawaii.edu/eng/store/
It's a bargain at $15 for the 3 (spiral bound) books. While there is no audio (very impt for learning), the language is presented from the *Hawaiian* point of view, with Hawaiian terminology, which is very enlightening. These books are used, I believe, at UH-Hilo for teaching their year 1 and 2 classes.

Another good set for beginners—the audio is very good in this set of book and two tapes—is "Learn Hawaiian at Home" by Kahikahealani Wight. It has a good variety of grammar, dialog, culture, and songs. It's available at any number of sites, this being just one of them (on sale for $32.95):
http://www.crackseeds.com/lehaatho.html

Hope you enjoy your "larnin"!

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2004 :  01:14:38 AM  Show Profile
Just checkin in...Thanks for the feedback.
I'm still struggling with how to order "Instant Immersion" via the links...
I need it on a regular cd, or dvd. It appears to be available on cd rom or as a download only...am I blind? Is the version at Amazon available on the 8 cd set? It mentions the cd-rom...
and Keoki's link seems to be a download only. Suggestions?

And while Keoki's and Landeza's dvd's are of interest--at $24.95 each plus shipping, starts to add up! Oh the frugality...but must save for next workshops!

Since I have many of the Keola, Ozzie, and Hanson books, tabs, workshop handbooks, dvd's and videos... are these materials redundant, or are they special enough to add to an increasingly costly and growing library? So many materials, limited money and never enough time to assimilate!
Mahalo,
Gordon
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2004 :  01:23:01 AM  Show Profile
Correction: "Kaliko's link" for in reference to 'Instant Immersion' download--NOT "Keoki's Link"

Too much driving, not enough sleep. ( and the usual
multiple topic disorder).
Life is good, but busy.
G
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2004 :  02:44:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Aloha Gordon!

I have several different slack key instruction resources myself and found that each instructor's material offered something different in technique, style, and method of delivery. Though redundant on certain things, I truly valued the different approaches and teaching methods that were offered. Each musician had their own signature and personal embellishment to add to a piece they were teaching. I think it gives the student a range of choices in which to play a particular tune and to find what will work for them individually and eventually develop their own style. I personally like having the variety of instructional material available because I get to learn more songs and the different techniques that accompany them. I haven't found much overlapping either.

There maybe some folks that don't agree with me. However, there are as many different ways to learn things as there are teachers! I hope this hasn't confused you more even more.

Mahalo,
Maggie

P.S. Depending on your skill level, you may want to choose your next instructional video/dvd to be something more challenging to you. I still liked Patrick's and Keoki's dvds because they were just fantastic for the beginning student such as myself.
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2004 :  2:58:54 PM  Show Profile
The downloads on Kaliko's website are for text pages of the audio that is on the CDs, to be used as a study aid. The 8 disc set is regular audio CDs - one CD is an introduction to pronunciation and the like, one is a summary for after you have gone through the program, and the remaining six each teach a facet of the language by telling a story about a Hawaiian island. The CD ROM set is the 3 disc set (actually 4 discs if you include the bonus audio CD) with games and such.

Kaliko's webpage (www.kaliko.info) has a store link which is not active yet, so you would need to email him to get a CD set. Try kaliko(at)panpolynesia(dot)net or kaliko(at)drmacnut(dot)com.

Hope this helps. I certainly understand the frustration at trying to cope with a neverending stream of recommended learning materials (and great new CDs, and interesting books, and...) On the other hand, who really needs those trivial things like food and housing?

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2004 :  7:11:12 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo again,
Thanks for your consistent 'Aloha', attitudes...
As a teacher/musician, I am continually telling others--good basics can make you sound pro--almost, or at least ready to jump higher. But do I listen to myself? And there's at least 7 bridges home, minimum.
I've told myself a million times, redundancy is good.
G
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  01:07:43 AM  Show Profile
On the subject of 'Learnin' Stuff', I am desiring more information than I picked up at the steel guitar sessions with Bob Brozman. Please don't read this as a criticism of Bob's classes--they were all excellent in every way. I was just introduced to steel and I'm wanting to know if there is a DVD/video that might build on his classes. We were working on Moana Chimes (plus some fabulous blues licks).

Mahalo,

Jeri

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  03:03:30 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jeri,
I think you might want to post this as a New Topic...
I'm pretty sure Bob B and others have some great stuff on dvd. And our people in the patch should know...but sometimes great questions get missed in the backwaters.
I love good dvd's for learning-- it's tough to catch everything in a class, as good as they can be!
Wasn't camp great?!
G
P.S. I'm defininately goin' to pick up Landeza's dvd with Moana Chimes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000