Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Ukuleles on the Big Island
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  5:39:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
After the dash around the ukulele builders on O`ahu I promised myself I wouldn't do the same thing on the Big Island - just visit neighborhoods (and National Parks and friends, Lynn works for the NPS) and hang out on beaches. I almost kept my promise, too, but ...

The Ukulele House has a store on the Big Island, at the Kings Shops in Waikoloa, and the Roy's restaurant there is Lynn's favorite, so since we were in the neighborhood ... They were giving ukulele lessons out front, and had a nice stock of ukes in all price ranges and sizes from several different makers. The gentleman behind the counter was very enthusiastic about talking ukulele. He's a fan of G-String and likes Ko`olau as well. His favorite builder among the Big Island guys is "Andy - you just have to go visit Andy." He brought out his custom 5 string tenor - very dramatic "shark" soundholes and a doubled G so he has both the high and low G sound going on. It's quite heavy because of the pheasant wood back and sides and the electronics, but it sounds quick and hot and plays like a dream.

Back at the hotel that evening I just idly check out the Big Island luthiers, and find that Andy is O Kona Ukuleles and Guitars, and his web site has some gorgeous stuff indeed. Hmmmmmmm. On the way back from snorkeling the next day we're in the neighborhood, so perhaps we could stop in?? As we pull up to the house one of Andy's luthiery students is leaving, and stops to show us his creation - a gorgeous koa and spruce soprano. Andy is another very pleasant guy, with stacks of logs drying all around and shop full of beautiful ukes in various stages. One of his trademarks is a honu (sea turtle) inlayed around the puka (soundhole) or overlayed as a pick guard. This really captures Lynn's attention, and the next thing we know we're going through the price list and she's checking EVERYTHING <g>. She's giggling because she's going to have a uke that's fancier than any of my guitars - she gets a koa back, spruce top, pau ferro bridge and fretboard, with gold tuners, honu soundhole, maple binding, and (tada!) abalone purfling all around the top and soundhole. Andy says we'll have our uke in about 4 months - she has a lot of practicing to do to be worthy of this little beaty.

Here's a link to O Kona, the custom ukes page:

http://ukulelesofkona.com/custom_ukuleles.htm

Since we obviously can't visit an ukulele maker without buying a uke, we carefully avoided the rest of the folks on the Big Island, but when we visited an old Park Service buddy at the Volcano, we discovered that he has taken up the uke, owns a Kamaka concert and has odered a TT concert to go with it. It's a plague on the land, I tell ya.

Fran

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  9:00:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha e fran,

i'm sorry, you're having too much fun. it's time to come home and go back to work like the rest of us here, mutter...

andy's ukes are beautiful, and that pair of gibson's are pretty amazing. i think that they're the opposite of what braddah el jefe is thinking of (how do you say "the chief" in hawaiian? ka lani?) they would be show stoppers.

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

mistercoffee1
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  9:40:00 PM  Show Profile  Send mistercoffee1 an AOL message
I was just on the Big Island 3 weeks ago, and visited the same shop.
Nice guy running that place (the guy with the long hair?).

I ended up picking up a Martin S-O from a place at the Ali'i Marketplace.

Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  10:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:

i'm sorry, you're having too much fun. it's time to come home and go back to work like the rest of us here, mutter...

I should have started my story off by saying that we're back home, and will have to head back to the job on Monday.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  10:38:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:

I ended up picking up a Martin S-O from a place at the Ali'i Marketplace.

How do you like it? Are you an old hand at ukes or just getting going?

Fran

Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2002 :  02:02:18 AM  Show Profile
The Big Island now also has Dennis Lake (from Michigan) as it's newest resident luthier. He lives close to South Point, and he makes wonderful ukes. My husband and I have bought two so far. Mine had a low G on it which I really liked, but it sustained far too long and overpowered the others during any nice soft Hawaiian tune. Will see how I like the high G.
I have seen Dennis' guitar and banjo: gorgeous instruments and what sound! His address is dplake @ yahoo.com
Happy strumming, Julie

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000