Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 slack key uke
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ryan.agmata
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2004 :  5:15:22 PM  Show Profile
Alohas braddahs and sistahs,

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about slack key uke or of any products that I could buy to learn how to play slack key style.
If any of you can give me any information that would be solid.

Much Mahalos,
Ryan

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2004 :  11:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Heeday Kimura has a 22 page booklet titled "How to Play Slack key Ukulele." I found it to be extremely helpful. Check his website at www.ukulelebooksbyheeday.com. My cost was $11 includign shipping.
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

finemc28
Aloha

14 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  12:01:35 AM  Show Profile  Send finemc28 an AOL message
If you already play guitar in Taro patch, just slack down the A string to G and try adapting your slack key pieces to the Ukulele. This works best with at "low G" set up.

I've found by playing along with recordings with my Taro patch Uke that some pieces are easier to play along with than with standard tuning.

Try "Kuhio Bay" on Facing Future by Bruddah Iz.

Have fun,
Mike
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  02:05:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I don't think it's listed on his web page but Heeday also has a tape available to accompany the book. Email him if you're interested.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2004 :  11:54:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha,

i have the perhaps controversial viewpoint that you don't need to change tuning on a uke to play slack key uke. for example, http://www.ukuleleworld.com/uw_ins.html#brozman has a lot of ukulele "slack key" turnarounds in the context of hi`ilawe. the scale is so much smaller on a uke, you'll find yourself to reach all sorts of combinations.

if you already play slack key guitar, just slack the strings in the same way you would for a guitar (if you play drop C or taropatch, you'll just slack the first string down a full step), and you can try out what you already play. you'll find that the problem is you don't have those low two strings for doing the bass line. so, you'll need to improvise. the middle-voice and high voice parallel sixths and parallel thirds all work, of course.

if you want to plunge ahead, try working out a version of a simple song that you like. if you don't change any tuning, good keys to work in are C and F, since you can use open strings so readily.

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2004 :  11:16:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
Okay, I'm going to admit the unmentionable: I don't really understand what "slack key" playing means.

I have lots of slack key guitar CDs, and I like the sound of it, but what does it actually mean/how is it done? I imagine, from my reading on this board, that it's using an alternate tuning that tunes "down" certain strings, but it seems that folks refer to a variety of different slack key tunings (and they have different names like taro patch and C). Does that mean certain strings are tuned in sets in different ways?

I've never played guitar, and only am a strummer and sometimes melody picker in my beginning ukulele playing. I understand that, in ukuleles, there is High G-CEA and Low G-CEA and at a workshop I was even forced to do a ADF#B tuning (yuck!). I'm now guessing that ukuleles can be tuned to a slack key sound, too, but which strings do what? Does it work for soprano ukuleles, too?

I've contemplated the Heeday Kimura book, but frankly, the one book I have of his (Christmas songs?) has artwork that seems a little "blurry" to me and it's hard for me to figure out which strings/notes are being displayed (perhaps, though, it's my 47-year-old eyes doing the blurry thing. Hmmmm...I'll go check out the book again).

Anyway, any clear explanation of what slack key is for this non-guitar-playing music novice? FWIW, I play a high-GCEA soprano.

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2004 :  11:57:10 AM  Show Profile
Tonya,

Take a look at http://www.dancingcat.com/shorthist.shtml. It's a very nice tree-top discussion of Slack Key. Almost all of the Slack Key albums from Dancing Cat Records have explanations in the liner notes.

Tuning your Uke to G-CEG would be an example of Slack. This would be the equivalent of Taro Patch (G on the guitar) which produces a C on the Uke when strummed open.

Me ke aloha,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2004 :  12:22:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi tonya,
quote:
I've never played guitar, and only am a strummer and sometimes melody picker in my beginning ukulele playing. I understand that, in ukuleles, there is High G-CEA and Low G-CEA and at a workshop I was even forced to do a ADF#B tuning (yuck!). I'm now guessing that ukuleles can be tuned to a slack key sound, too, but which strings do what? Does it work for soprano ukuleles, too?
what didn't you like about ADF#B? anyway, for picking melody, i find having the low G helps, but there's plenty of existence proofs that you can do anything on a high G uke.

quote:
I've contemplated the Heeday Kimura book, but frankly, the one book I have of his (Christmas songs?) has artwork that seems a little "blurry" to me and it's hard for me to figure out which strings/notes are being displayed (perhaps, though, it's my 47-year-old eyes doing the blurry thing. Hmmmm...I'll go check out the book again).
i have a hard time with his books too. his notation takes some getting used to. but, i think the biggest problem is that without audio accompanyment, it's hard to figure out what exactly its supposed to sound like. he has tapes, but i don't have them...

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2004 :  1:25:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Tonya, you're correct that slack key refers to altered tunings, assumed to be loosened. The style further refers to alternating bass played on the lower strings, which is why slack key ukulele is a stretch. Since you say you like the sound of slack key (the kani ki ho`alu, as it were) you might refer back to Keith's original idea - you can play most of those melodies, licks, fills, vamps on a standard tuned ukulele no sweat. Pick a simple slack key piece, hum the melody, and see if you can find it on your uke. Or perhaps even better, get the two CDs by Keoki Kahumoku and Herb Ohta Jr. and soak up their interaction. They have done a gorgeous job of integrating slack key guitar and ukulele.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  2:47:19 PM  Show Profile
Fran,

Can I give an alternate viewpoint (not a disagreement, please understand) of the "alternating bass" as a defining hallmark of Slack Key? I know lots of folks have that notion, but it simply is not a universal. It *is* true that alternating bass is on a preponderance of recordings at this time, because a lot (the majority?) of players use Taro Patch and can get the I/V and V/V drone going. However, in Aunty Alice's figures, which are representative of an earlier form, there is no such thing as alternating bass. Keola rarely (I say that because I can't remembe him ever doing it) uses it in his C tuning. In fact hardly anybody uses alternating bass in any C tuning. They use a single (or maybe 2 per measure) pedal note. Leonard (in his C)only used alternating bass once as far as I can determine. And, even though Oz uses alternating bass in his one example in his book, he does not do so in other C tuning tabs of his that I have. In his book with Steve Sano, Danny Ho extolls his tuning because the intervals between string allow more flexibility (he says, or implies) including alternating bass. In Sonny's Ho`omalu Slack Key and Moe Uhane, they both have G D'D' and D D' D' sequences, which certainly are not alternating.

So, while lots of pieces use alternating bass, you can play Slack Key perfectly well and properly without using it.

In the case of a low G `uke, a pedal note or two on the low G will sufice very nicely.

...Reid

PS. Danny and George's new Hula series (on Danny's label) demo this gorgeously with Danny playing most of the lead, and Keoki, on this latest tour with George, did the same thing, also gorgeously.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2004 :  5:23:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
You're right, of course, Reid. I should have said "bass figures" rather than alternating bass.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000