Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Isa Lei
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2002 :  4:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha,

i've been torturing some select people with this, and i guess i feel relaxed enough to send it to people here... anyway, andy's great second version of molehu inspired me to try to break away from tab and generate my own versions. if you're interested, i put on
http://www.cs.ucsd.edu/~marzullo/isalei.ps a rendition of Isa Lei. it should be clear that i was inspired by keola beamer's version, done in F wahine.

i did it in Leonard's C, which is an easy tuning to go to if you know taro patch (that's why i know it ). just tune your low D string (the string closest to you and lowest in pitch) down to a C. it's a C Wahine tuning. any C chord in taro patch works fine in this tuning, except that you can hit that low C string as well. you need to learn F, G7, but you already know how to do D7 (don't play that low string!) if you want to do a hawaiian turnaround.

i hope others try their hand and post as well; it seems like a novel way to learn that taropatch.net makes easy. read the thread on copyrighting first, though, about possible issues. from all i can tell, "isa lei" is in the public domain.

best wishes,
keith

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2002 :  5:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Aloha Keith,

You did a great job. Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. I'm really impressed by how complete your tab is (chords, dynamics, etc). Unfortunately, I've just been too busy lately to tune my guitar to Leonard's C. I look forward to training my brain to play in the key of C!

.PS is postscript? What software would I need to open this file?

Mahalo for sharing,
Andy
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2002 :  5:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha e andy, no need to apologize, except perhaps to pointing me to the tab writing tool that is far too much fun to use.

you can use ghostview, http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/, or you can print it on a postscript printer. when i get a chance, i'll distill it into pdf.

cheers,
keith

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2002 :  6:22:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Question (or two) for you PowerTab guys and gals... has anybody figured out how to place a (say) half note on the same beat as a (say) quarter note?

I understand you completely. I have not been able to figure that out.

I haven't used the checker but probably need it. My problem is that I usually try putting the tab in first and then deal with the notes (rhythm) afterwards. Since I then may have too beats in a measure, I cannot cut and paste duplicate measures because the software automatically starts breaking up measures.

I also do not know how to delete a bar (end of measure) once I put one in.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2002 :  6:41:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Keith, I just printed it off. I'm eager to try it.

I don't use Powertab, but most popular tabbing and notation software has a discussion group on how to use it. I'll bet Powertab has, too.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2002 :  12:45:29 AM  Show Profile
Keith,
Would be great if you can pdf it. I can't figure out how to get that other program up and working -- got to add languages and fonts and whatever -- I don't speak compterese. But I'd like to see your stuff.
raymond

Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2002 :  7:26:04 PM  Show Profile
Here's the pdf file.
http://www.csusm.edu/wdfoster/kihoalu/isalei.pdf

----------
Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2002 :  11:32:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Nice job, Keith. (And a tip o' the hat to you, Dusty, for the PDF version.)

Funny how things go in cycles -- I've been totally into Drop C (or Leonard's C, same thing) for the last six months or so. It's a swell way to play the guitar -- lot's of cool voicings, easy as pie to modulate to either G (no brainer) or F (some minimal brains required.)

I'm doing chord charts for this tuning, as well as G 6th (another fav) and, if I have the time, F wahine, to hand out at next month's Aloha Camp. I'll post 'em here when they get more or less done.

I won't comment on whether or not Isa Lei is in the public domain, save to say that the Fijian folksong predates at least one copyright claim from the forties by a long, long time.

Happy playing!

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2002 :  09:49:00 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Keith,

Thanks for all your hard work - I can't wait to try out your arrangement! This is fun!

And thanks to wdf for the pdf - makes a great print-out.

Mahalos,
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2002 :  6:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi all,

thank you all for the nice words. dusty, i snarfed over the pdf so you can garbage collect yours if you wish. i also put out a MIDI file that PowerTab generated. it sounds pretty bad, sort of like a saloon piano; there's no sustain, and i like to arpeggiate, like the chord in measure 20. but, at least it doesn't have any mistakes like when i play it. anyway, they're at:

http://www.cs.ucsd.edu/~marzullo/isalei.pdf and
http://www.cs.ucsd.edu/~marzullo/isalei.mid.

mark, i ended up playing with dropped C because i was looking for another tuning, and it's an easy one to pick up if you know taropatch. i started playing with it with mark hansen's transcription of leonard kwan's "ke'ala's mele" which is one of those songs (like "isa lei" and ipo lei manu") that i can't get out of my head. he has so many variations in it as well that ke'ala's mele is a tutorial in dropped C by itself. the problem i have with it is with the F; it's a bit weak in that i never get any low notes into it...

slackkey bill has me really psyched in coming up with versions of songs. he's got a zen-like view of it; when i showed him my version of puamana, he sort of gently hinted not to try too hard. so, i've been trying to simplify, and he's right. hey, mark, bill or cindy, do you ever give lessons on this kind of stuff?

aloha,
keith

Edited by - marzullo on 07/12/2002 18:23:18
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2002 :  2:03:19 PM  Show Profile
Aloha and Good Morning Keith from Paia, Maui!

Eh...all you have to remember is relax, feel the music! Try not to push-down too hard on your strings and fret-board. Think of that beautiful Kaanapali Sunset you, me and Susie were able to see and enjoy.....Close your eyes, take a deep breath......and 'JUS PRESS!!!!! A Hui Hou!

slackkey Bill

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2002 :  4:45:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
the problem i have with it is with the F; it's a bit weak in that i never get any low notes into it...

hey, mark, bill or cindy, do you ever give lessons on this kind of stuff?

Hi Keith -

Sounds to me like you've already discovered the best teachers - your ears and your love for music.

Here's a tip on getting the low notes when you play barre chords, like F in any of the C tunings: Make sure your thumb is correctly placed on the back o' the neck. Too high (like bending over the the low string a la Richie Havens) and the rest of your fingers are out of alignment. Too low and you can't get the leverage you need to cleanly sound the notes held by the barre.

It really helps to hold the guitar in "classical" position - on the left leg, with the body between your legs. This gives your right hand even more flexibility and leverage. (Lefties, reverse this... ). A foot stool helps, too. I use a strap to hold the neck up, even when I sit down.

Happy playing!

Mark
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000