Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 SLO area (reply to Keith's post in General forum)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hg
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  1:28:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit hg's Homepage
Keith -

I'm new to the uke scene - I play regularly with Ron Saul in a Thursday lunchtime jam, though he's on bass and I'm on flute, and we're generally outnumbered by guitars. On weekend mornings, a couple of surfers (Kevin & Mike(?)) are generally found playing in the parking lot at the Pismo Pier, and they welcome others. Dorian Michael plays uke on at least one of his albums, and I just discovered a shop in Cayucos called "Alternate Tunings" dedicated to ukes, plus "Lightning Joe's Guitar Heaven" in Arroyo Grande has a pretty good collection. Next time I see them, I'll ask Kevin and Ron what else is going on.

===================================
howard,

i checked your members page and see you're at SLO. we head up that way a few times a year, and i like visiting blue note music. it seems like there's some good acoustic guitar activity there, and with rs saul building some great sopranos, i wondered if there was any hawaiian music in the area. what's going on up there?

[note to moderator andy - sorry for posting this here - i just wanted to have this in a place that i thought howard would see. howard, it might be good to reply to this under the "kanikapila" forum]

aloha,
keith

hg's guitar/uke page

Edited by - hg on 10/21/2004 1:30:11 PM

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  5:34:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
howard,

what fun! i just got dorian michel's alternate tuning book (i should write a review here - it's a great book for slack key folks), it would be great to meet him. and, jamming at pismo sounds like a blast.

so what do you think of ron saul's ukes? i've played only a few - at blue note music - and thought that they were among the best i've played. they seemed very responsive and projected a lot, especially for a soprano. and, using local wood was a great idea. i'm glad he doesn't make tenors, because then i'd be poorer and have less wall space.

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

hg
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  7:14:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit hg's Homepage
Earlier this year, Ron showed me one of his ukes when he was installing a guitar pickup for me, and the construction looked really nice, but I didn't know how to evaluate the sound - I'll have to give them another try, though my main interest now is tenors. Dorian recorded on one of Ron's ukes - he is such a versatile musician.

Let me know when you're headed back this way - I should have a better idea of what the SLO scene is by then ...

hg's guitar/uke page
Go to Top of Page

ToeBone
Aloha

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  10:23:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit ToeBone's Homepage
Howard,

I glad that you found Alternate Tunings. The shop just opened a couple of weeks ago. I have been doing business with owner, Mike Atkins, for about a year now. Real nice fellow. He stocks Worth fluorocarbon strings and those nice Datt cases (among other things, of course). I'm looking forward to a trip down to Morro Bay and visiting his shop in the next month or so.

-Terry

Uke that 'tude!
Go to Top of Page

hg
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2004 :  2:42:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit hg's Homepage
I just found out from Mike Atkins that there's a uke club meeting here in SLO at Chili Peppers Restaurant on Broad Street next Wednesday (10/27) from 7-9pm. I'll plan to be there.

hg's guitar/uke page
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000