Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Lehua Ukuleles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  4:14:09 PM  Show Profile
TP ukers,
I was in a local guitar shop and they are carrying Lehua ukulele's. These are made in Portugal and are relatively inexpensive ($150 - $300). I played one and it seemed fine, but I only know a little about the instruments. I like this store and I'm looking for an inexpensive instrument, so I'd be inclined to get one there. Anyone with experience with these?

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  4:51:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi terry,

i keep a lehua tenor in my office to satisfy the occasional ukulele urge and to scare away pesty undergrads ("ask another question and i'll play `ahi wela`!") they're good, but i think that the lanikai is in general a better value. play both and see what you think.

aloha,
keith

Edited by - marzullo on 10/22/2004 4:51:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  4:56:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
From what I've read they're supposed to be a good buy for the money, but not particularly loud. And although manufacturered in Portugal (the spiritual home of the ukulele), they are designed and given final setup/inspection in Hilo by luthier Bob Gleason (Pegasus Guitar and Ukulele studio).

Keith...threatening to play something like "Tiptoe through the Tulips" would be a lot more effective!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 10/22/2004 4:59:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  5:21:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
threatening to play something like "Tiptoe through the Tulips" would be a lot more effective!
the university of california will revoke tenure for truly heinous acts...

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  6:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by marzullo

quote:
threatening to play something like "Tiptoe through the Tulips" would be a lot more effective!
the university of california will revoke tenure for truly heinous acts...
So singing along in a falsetto voice would be out of the question?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  10:57:59 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to Keith and Craig; I actually found another shop carrying Lehua. This one had a couple of nice Koa units. They also carry Mele and I liked the sound of those.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  11:40:21 AM  Show Profile
quote:
I actually found another shop carrying Lehua.

What shop, Terrry?

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  11:20:32 AM  Show Profile
Blue Guitar on India Street. I'll tell you about it next meeting, or email me if you want the details sooner - interesting place.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000