Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Maunawili Medley post for two guitars
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  11:47:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Aloha everyone,

Peter Medeiros was kind to share this with us here and asked me to post it for him. This should give us a sense for what a slack key duet can look like. Mahalo Peter!

Maunawili Medley <- revised copy (v2)

quote:
Peter Medeiros wrote:

This medley of tunes is based upon an old song called Maunawili. It is a mele pana or a place name song. The area called Maunawili is located between Kailua and the Pali, bordered by the Pali highway and Mount Olomana.

The original melody (section B) was shared with many other songs including "Hali`alaulani" better known as "Hi`ilawe ". It is a very old song, goes back to about Kalakaua's time -- the 1880's.

Other sections A,C & D are also from this era and are variations in slack key on the marches and quadrilles that were often played for the public by various community or military bands or even the Royal Hawaiian Band. These sections are typical period pieces and have a definite marching tempo as well as a ragtime or slight jazz type of feel, especially in section D, where counterpoint is used. All of the sections are interchangeble and should be improvised upon.

This is folk music and you just have to come close, it doesn't have to be exactly as written.

Peter Medeiros

Andy

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  12:23:29 PM  Show Profile
Peter and Andy,

How cool is that? What a nice gift of Aloha.

Mahalo nui,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  1:59:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Mahalo to Peter for sharing and Andy for posting this! You are the best!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  2:52:13 PM  Show Profile
Excellent!! Thank you, Peter.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2004 :  12:00:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Aloha all. Peter has sent a revised tab where he corrected some errors. Please download again - I posted version two.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2004 :  3:24:37 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Aloha all. Peter has sent a revised tab where he corrected some errors. Please download again - I posted version two.

I see the one I was about to comment on (bar 24)---now I get to hunt for any other changes, eh? Mahalo

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2004 :  9:17:30 PM  Show Profile
Peter and Andy,

Thanks so much for sharing this one.

Aloha

Steve
Go to Top of Page