Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 "Pohakuloa" by Moses Kahumoku
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2004 :  02:37:48 AM  Show Profile
So...
Who knows a little about this song and Moses?
It's taropatch of course...
very classical/flamencoesqe.
And on nylon strings.
I must use the steel string for now...a bit of a nail buster!

There's a combination of broken arpeggios, tremolos, triplets, and etc.
The rapid 16th note triplets on high g--maybe a rest stroke with alternate fingers?
I'm using a p,i,m,a approach, but realize Moses may have another style.
Should I use an: a, m, i alternating right hand roll for the triplets?
and the tremolos?
Or is there a better way?
PIM seems like a good alternative at times in this one...

My anular finger does not want to participate evenly in triplets...does not play well with others!

I'm fixin' to write this out in notation when I get a chunk of time. But if there's tab or other info, I'd love to know before I invest 4-6 hours in the headphones transcribing!
Mahalo,
g

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2004 :  04:16:33 AM  Show Profile
The committee (my inner voices) here...
the heck with technique musicology--
Tell me more about Moses K. and anything about the song...

I have it on "Hawaiian Slack Key Masters...Vol. I.
But know nothing outside the liner notes. Is it on a solo album by Moses?
Sincerely (embarassed about these conversations with myself!)
G
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2004 :  09:14:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha e gordon,

your first posting made me think, for only the thousandth time, that i should take classical guitar lessons usually it's raymond's postings that trigger such a reaction.

we're all hoping for more from moses when he's able to do some recording again. all i have is a small note: a few years ago i was taking an ukulele lesson from keoki kahumoku. keoki was showing me some nice picking, clearly classically inspired. keoki explained that he learned how to play guitar and ukulele from his uncle. it wasn't until i left and started thinking more broadly about the lesson that it dawned on me that he was talking about moses.

aloha, keith
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Watkins
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2004 :  2:59:24 PM  Show Profile
Aloha 'awekea,
Moses recorded Pohakuloa on his album (title?). His brother George told me it was Moses' song and didn't have the tab. I've asked around for the tab but it doesn't seem to exist. I love the music and will pay for the tab, if I could just find it. I can play the first several measures and then I'm lost. Its in taropatch with C and D.

I hope Moses returns to kika o ki ho'alu very soon. To me, his way of playing guitar is fabulous. If you find the tab, or develop it yourself, please let me know.

A hui hou
E malama pono
Jeff

Jeff Watkins
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2004 :  2:59:27 PM  Show Profile
F.Y.I. Gordon,

There is considerable discussion about Moses on this site, so you
should do a search for "Moses" and it will fill in many things
you may want to know.

...LB

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2004 :  3:22:14 PM  Show Profile
Jeff's right. It's on "Ho`okupu - The Gift"
Follow the link.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  10:16:32 AM  Show Profile
Thanks,
The search was helpful and insightful.
My prayers are with Moses, and look forward to his return to playing.
All good music is therapy--and especially slack key for me.
I hope Moses has access to a guitar.
I would love to show support and admiration, but am hesitant to share SSN--in mail or online!

Still, we all need encouragement at times...I'll figure it out.
There but for the grace of God--go I.
Are there other ways to show support?

On "Pohakulua", When/If I get time to transribe, I write in "real" notes--even though I love having tab for deciphering position and voicing. It's a moderately lengthy undertaking, with several variations--especially in the right hand "flourishes".

And it may be some time before I tackle this time-consuming chore in earnest!

A hui hou,
Gordo
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  2:26:14 PM  Show Profile
Hey all,

Been away for a bit...

Gordon, this is a fairly straight forward song to figure out and play. Yep, it's in open G, nylon string.

I won't post tab, (not that I have any for it, I don't) but if you write me, I'll type up some really good suggestions for playing it.

It is a deceptively simple song. It really is almost all technique.

It is one of the very first kihoalu songs I figured out. Just so very beautiful.

I hope this comes out the right way, but 'tab' is probably the last thing I'd want when learning a song. When you learn it by sound, you come up with your own fingerings and progressions to play the same thing. It also makes it 'your own' with all due respect to the person who first played it. If you really love a piece of music, play it. Over and over until you figure it out. CDs with skip features are one of the best inventions for learning!
Seriously, if you like something so much, then nothing should stop you from learning and playing it. Who cares if you have the tab or not. Hell, I don't even have a good ear, but given enough time, I can figure out anything. Some just take longer. An added benefit is that when you learn this way, you remember it. Always. It's yours. You learned it from only the sound.
I've noticed that when I learn things from music or tab, my mind tends to picture the music or tab while playing. I forget so much sooner that way.
Again, I hope this didn't sound trite. The old 'I know it but I'm not sharing' don't fly with me. If I had some type of software where I could write you out my version, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I don't.
What I can do are some simple drawings and progressions of the major parts of the song. You'd figure it out in no time from there.

Much aloha to all you taropatchers...

Mike (at least it aint raining in San Jose today) Piffle

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  5:48:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Piff is back...yay!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  9:46:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Gordon,
This is my favorite slack key song, and I long for the day when I can play it well. As Piff said,it is mostly technique. I figured the fingerings for left hand out from the CD in about an hour. It is in taropatch tuned down to F. All the fingering is in standard for taropatch,nothing fancy, but as was mentioned above, the technique is a bit intricate. I wrote out the tab for it so i could refer to it later. I must admit to not having mastered it by any stretch, but I can make it sound recognizable anyway. Piff mentioned that learning your own fingerings helped make the song yours; I believe that is true. i doubt the fingerings I am using are the same as what Mosess uses, but the sound is similar, and, viv la diference. My form of tab is a bit crude, mostly melody, with an occassional bass note thrown in to keep you abreast of chord changes. I was planning on re-writing it in larger format so I can read it better...the original is on one sheet, and with all those variations, it got crowded.
As far as how he gets the triplet or tremelo or whatever it is yo call it, I am not certain. After reading your question the other night I went up and tried to figure out just what he does do, and for that matter, what it is i do. I use three fingers and a thumb in rapid succession, or sometimes three fingers in the following sequence; ring, middle, index, ring for the triplet formations (such as the high G chord played at the 7th fret) and just the middle-index-middle-index combo for the same effect on a single string if it is the 1st string, but i find more accuracy with ring-middle-index-thumb on the inner strings. I tried using just the thumb, as I understand Moses uses the thumb for most of his arpeggieated chords instead of plucking them sequentially with his fingers, but that did not work well for me.
I guess what matters is that you can make it sound OK to yourself, whatever method or fingerings you use. Good luck.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  2:39:54 PM  Show Profile
Aloha All,
Ah...Puhakuloa, such a sweet and beautifully played piece by Moses. It's what immediately comes to mind when I think of him, I guess it's my favorite too.
Moses, we miss you! My best wishes and Aloha to you.

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  5:52:51 PM  Show Profile
I appreciate this...
the reason I OCCASIONALLY write things out is--well the memory chips are chipped. So I end up with variation of impressions of the original... and sometimes I don't get as close to the original as I would prefer.
So it's important to announce the song title--in case the audience doesn't recognize it!
G
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  04:36:44 AM  Show Profile
If you are performing for an audience unfamiliar with slack key, or relatively so, it doesn't matter if you are faithful to the original. Personally, I like to hear variations (even radical) from the "norm".

Dusty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000