Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 teaching beginning ukulele
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2004 :  07:50:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Hey Keith:

Just re-reading this thread and wanted to share the uke-learning process that took place this past fall with our some of our halau members for a 6-week course. Our kumu started with basic chords each session and had a chord progression exercise to reinforce the chord changes. We started with 3 chords, then gradually added each week for three weeks. She also threw in a simple song or two to practice the chords being learned for the current week and ones we learned previously (as the class progressed). She gradually started adding strum patterns from the second week up to the last week and incorporated them with the new chords being learned each week. By the 6th week (last class), the group was sounding pretty good and mastered 8 songs with varying degrees of chord changes and strumming patterns. Here's what the playlist was:

MANUELA BOY (C G7)
E HULI MAKOU (F C7 G7)
HAWAI'I ALOHA (G C D)
GOD BLESS MY DADDY (C F G7)
HANALEI MOON (F G7 C7 D7 Bb)
MY LITTLE GRASS SHACK (G A7 D7 B7 E7)
THAT'S THE HAWAIIAN IN ME (A E7 D A7 B7)
ULUPALAKUA (F F7 Bb D7 G7 C7)
WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD (C Em F C E7 Am Dm G7)

Additional chords learned: Gm Cm

As you can see, most of these are Hawaiian, Hapa Haole, or a popular tune the most of us were familiar with. I don't know if that made a difference, but it was amazing to see was how quick everyone learned in such a short time (even some of the ones with lots of chord changes). Nearly all of the students were beginners or have played the uke only a little (only myself and one other person had more experience). However, scales and fretboard exercises were not covered, which may be taught in level two when the class will start to learn some picking techniques.

Hope this helps a little. Have fun!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000