Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 News story about music camps
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  01:56:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Since I work for a newspaper, albeit as a photographer, I decided to write about the music camp experience in general, including info about the Aloha Music Camp though I've only been to George Kahumoku's camp, and only for a few days. Both of the camps are already very popular, if not sold out, so I didn't see it as an opportunity to promote the camps, but rather to let the readers see what happens there. I called the Mauian Hotel for details and they're already booked up during George's workshop next June!
My paper, the Spokane Spokesman-Review, printed the story last weekend in the Travel section with a couple of photos. It ran below a fairly generic story about Hawaiian vacationing.
I've tried to post a link to the newspaper website, but our paper recently went to "pay-to-view" status, so the link I use at work doesn't work without a membership. Don't get me started on whose bright idea it was to charge people to read a story. Grrrrrrr. I will post a link in this space tomorrow. Sorry.
I'm sure there are some discrepancies, but what's done is done.
I submitted three photos with the story and they ran two. Here are those images:

The top image is of George's beginner group (see Gordon Burt hiding his face below his ballcap at upper left) playing before the backdrop of Napili bay and Molokai in the distance; the middle photo is of George Kahumoku and Led Kaapana(in the shadows) at an afternoon demostration/lecture, and the bottom photo is of the evening kanikapila circle.
Keith Marzullo, Jim Garson added their perspectives as campers to the story, and Mark Nelson and George Kahumoku commented, too. Mahalo for their kokua.
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 11/05/2004 02:14:26 AM

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  12:48:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Finally, a link to the story:
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/tools/story_pf.asp?ID=34095

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  1:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Great story -- and great pix, too. They didn't come across as well in the jpeg you'd sent me, Jesse. The one with beautiful Napili Bay in the background is great. It is such a stunning location.

quote:
Both of the camps are already very popular, if not sold out

Popular, yes. Sold out?... not even. The Aloha Camp has room for many more happy campers. I'm sure there's plenty of opportunity at George's camp, too.

So don't dispair - grab your guitar, book a flight, and come to Hawaii. That could be you sitting on the beach...

cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000