Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Humidity protection during performance
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  1:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
I have to play a long (4 hour) gig as background music at a glass blowing studio, where it's very hot and dry. (I couldn't refuse because it's my wife's studio.) I tested the humidity last weekend when the equipment was in operation and it was below 40% at the spot I'll be in. Luckily there's no heating outlet near me. I'll be playing about 30 minutes sets and then taking longish breaks for my left hand to recuperate. So will this be a problem for my Martin, four hours in below 40%? If so, any suggestions as to how I can counteract the humidity while I'm playing? I always use a humidity "snake thing" which I can put back in the guitar while I'm taking a break, but it can't be in while I'm playing. Well, actually I guess I could just let it fall inside and then fish it out when I'm done. Any thoughts? LRR

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  5:05:24 PM  Show Profile
Well, you wife won't like it but...

Room humidifiers, such as the ultrasonic kind we used to have,
don't cost very much ($50 to $80) and are very effective.

Such a unit will raise the humidity significantly and thereby
make it seem even hotter that usual.

...LB

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  7:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
From what I've read on the Internet, it takes about 3 days for a guitar to fully assume a new equilibrium moisture content. I did not find anything scientific supporting this but this number seems to appear a couple of times.

That said, I found an article titled, Staying one step ahead of the repairman, written by luthier Paul McGill. In it, he writes, "It is also important to note that according to their research (the US Forest Products Research Laboratory), wood will lose moisture ten times faster than it will acquire it. That means that if you go to the rain forest, you can remove ten days of acquired moisture in one day of dry exposure. It also means that when the weather gets dry, the potential for damage can come on very quickly."

Really though, I think your guitar will be fine. As long as it is properly humidified before you play, fours hours should not pose a serious problem. If you're still worried, you could put the guitar back in its case with an in case humidifier during your breaks.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  03:30:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
I agree with Andy. Your guitar should be fine, assuming it is nicely humidified before and after the gig. However, do not overhumidify the guitar before your performance. It would be worse for your guitar to go immediately from extremely humid to extremely dry.

Also, 40% humidity is not low for some guitars. Although most people will tell you 50% is the ideal humidity level, some guitars are built in 40% humidity and like it that way.

Here in New York, apartments are very dry in the winter. So, a guitar may be facing 30% humidity every time it comes out of the case. The most important thing is keeping the humidity up (without rapid changes) over the long term.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  04:02:25 AM  Show Profile
Just so you know, Paul, who Andy quoted, builds at 40%. He also bakes out some of his woods, like cocobolo, before working on them to remove oils and stuff. So does Lance McCollum and Hank Mauel (about 40%). Mark Blanchard builds at 35% (which is kinda low, so he includes a spacer under the bridge to compensate for top rise). Mark does this because most of his customers are in the mountain West. But, he has guitars in Fla. (And Hamden, CT :-) Even Goodall, whose shop is completely open to the Kona weather, has a dry room(hot, too) which they use to dry out finished parts before assembly.

Don't worry, but as has been said, don't go from high humidity to low or any major temp or environment change.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  6:51:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
The C.F. Martin company recommends 45% to 55% so your 40% doesn't seem very far away from that.

Mark (E)
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  11:01:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
Thanks to all for your input. Based on your comments, I think I won't worry much, but I'll put the guitar away with its humidifier between sets. I don't actually believe my fingers will hold up for all that time, in spite of the calluses. By the way, to Lawrence:
I note you were at UCLA Music for awhile. I got my undergrad degree from UCLA Music dept in 1970 and I was a TA there in Choral until 1974, when I went to Stanford. I'm guessing you were at UCLA some time after me, but we may have had some professors in common. LRR

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  5:17:37 PM  Show Profile
Leonard,

Looks like we missed each other by a couple of years. I worked at the UCLA School of Music (and was a part time Electrical Engineering student) from 1976 to 1978. I worked as chief (and only) engineer for the Electronic Music Studio with Alden Ashforth and a few other Profs. The original studio was in the Engineering Department Basement next to the (Believe it or not!) Experimental Nuclear Reactor! The studio was moved to the old building next to the main music school building after a few months. I also did some sound effects for a couple of commmercial Hollywood movies on the side at that time.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 11/10/2004 5:19:44 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000