Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Music transfer: LP to computer
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  11:38:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I recently tried to digitize some old Hawaiian LPs so I could listen on my computer. Although I still like to listen to records, some of my albums date back to the mid-40s and I don't want to be handling them too much.
My system is to hook my component turntable up to my Mackie PA mixer, then take the output from that to my computer audio input. My problem is that the magnetic cartridge of the turntable and the mixer, even on a channel with a built-in pre-amp, doesn't produce a strong enough signal, barely showing up on the meters with everything turned up all the way. I had all this equipment on hand, and I don't want to buy a pro audio set-up just to transfer some old albums to digital.
Does anyone have any recommendations for some kind of simple pre-amp for the turntable, or a simple system to boost the signal?
Jesse Tinsley

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  12:34:58 PM  Show Profile
Jesse,

Are you plugging them into Channel inputs or the Tape Inputs? The tape inputs are the correct ones and need small RCA plugs.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  1:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Actually, neither channel inputs or tape inputs will work...turntables need their own specialized RIAA preamp that applies a custom EQ curve and compensates for the weaker signal. You can either plug the turntable in to a component amp that has turntable inputs (you also need to make sure you ground the turntable) and then run the tape outputs from the amp into your computer (this is what I do) or you can buy a relatively inexpensive turntable preamp and plug that in between your turntable and your mixer. Here's an example of a preamp you can buy for $40:

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-ART-DJRPRE.html

(In this case the outputs from the preamp would go into the tape inputs on the mixer or directly to the computer.)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 11/11/2004 1:54:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  3:18:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Exactamundo Cpatch! Mahalo!
Big Dog: I'm putting the turntable RCA plugs into the "tape in" plugs on my Mackie DFX-6. But still not enough oomph. I'm going to dig out an old receiver and try what Craig suggests.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  3:28:50 PM  Show Profile
Jesse,

That was my next suggestion. If you were already able to listen to your LPs then you should be able to use an output. My old Kenwood turntable works just fine plugged into to tape ins on my Mackie 1402.

Craig,

I compensate for the RIAA curve with EQ. I run Turntable>Stereo Neve pre-amps>ProTools. Ground to the rack. I've been restoring vinyl for quite some time and this setup has worked flawlessly.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  7:37:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Sorry Dave, I didn't mean to challenge your expertise but you DID neglect to mention the RIAA compensation issue and the need for a stronger preamp in your original post!

Craig
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  8:13:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I should have been more clear as well. I used the "tape in" RCA inputs first, then switched to a mic channel with a preamp, but neither got me close to the level or EQ that was pleasing.

I usually scoop the thrift stores for Hawaiian LPs and pickup whatever I find. I have some Haunani Kahalewai, Alfred Apaka and others that I'd like to listen to via the computer. So many great artists from the territorial years have been forgotten or not brought to CD. I even found my great-uncle Joe Keawe's voice, uncredited, singing "Ua Like No A Like" on an album credited to Kane Nui and His Island Boys.
Yesterday I found an unplayed "Sunday Manoa 3" LP (from 1973, but which probably is on CD) for 50 cents. Their versions of "Eleu Mikimiki" and "Nani Ka'ala" are great.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  9:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hey Jesse, I've picked up some great old slack key LPs too, although mostly through eBay. But my finds have included early Tradewind LPs by Raymond Kane, Leonard Kwan, Atta Isaacs, and Nelson Waikiki in addition to other stuff by Gabby, Sonny, and Auntie Alice.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  06:48:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hunting for vinyl is fun, but when I really want something, I look for the CD. Anything I find locally on vinyl is just a bonus. At thrift stores you have to slog your way through a lot of schmaltzy orchestral "Hawaiian" music that was put out in the 50s and early 60s before you find something authentic.
Among the LPs I hope to find someday is Auntie Alice's record and the Gabby/Atta record "Livin On A-Easy" (not sure how it's spelled).
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2004 :  04:22:05 AM  Show Profile
Jesse,

No need to hunt in thrift stores. Sarah and I got a *perfect* vinyl of Auntie Alice at Jelly's via phone for the grand total of $7.00. Then mailed to us. Pretty thrifty.

I guess it depends on how much you like the hunt vs. actually getting what you want when you want.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2004 :  07:20:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
That's a great deal, Reid. That album easily sells for twice that on Ebay, and you always have to wonder about the condition.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2004 :  04:36:04 AM  Show Profile
Jesse, yes, a great deal. But, best of all was how pristine it was. I digitized it, declicked and depopped and dehissed the residuals, with Audition, and burnt a CD of it. The vinyl is now "in a vault". The album liner notes are a prize, too.

BTW, lots of people have used Jelly's to hunt down what they wanted. Great place, just a phone call away.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  4:41:54 PM  Show Profile
One thing I would add to this discussion:

If you digitize FIRST with a "flat" EQ like the method Dr. Dave (Ilio
Nui) recommends you will gain an additional advantage. When you
apply the RIAA curve in the digital domain (like in Audition or
ProTools, etc) you will improve the signal to noise ratio or your