Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 effects
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  1:13:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
A little random, but, does anyone know of an octave pedal with true bypass? By "octave" I mean a pedal that takes the note played down an octave, not up.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/

kahealani
Akahai

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2004 :  10:09:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit kahealani's Homepage
An octive pedal with true bypass? I haven't heard of it.
Have you checked out the Line 6 stuff? They produce many types of effects, so maybe they might have something like that.

Hope this helps!

Brittni Paiva
www.brittnipaiva.com
www.myspace.com/brittnipaiva
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2004 :  11:21:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Hi Brittni,

Unfortunately, Line 6 doesn't make an octave pedal. Their stuff is great, and they do have true bypass on most items. Hopefully they'll come out with an octave pedal in the future.

By the way, congrats on your cd! That's quite an accomplishment!

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

kahealani
Akahai

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2004 :  7:43:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit kahealani's Homepage
Thank you so much for your kind words! I really appreciate it so much!!!

There's a website that I go to for sound equipment, etc.
I've searched for an octave pedal for you and here is the link to the search results: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/d=tp?q=Octave+pedal

If the link doesn't work, try going to the homepage, www.musiciansfriend.com and search for octave pedal.

Brittni Paiva
www.brittnipaiva.com
www.myspace.com/brittnipaiva
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2004 :  8:41:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
While we're on the subject of Line 6, their acoustic Variax allows you (among other things) to drop the bass strings down an octave through onboard software. I'd be very interested to see if anyone has tried this for slack key.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  09:36:55 AM  Show Profile
Craig,

The Variax is interesting. Yes, you can do any tuning you want in software (actually hardware) but you have to turn your amp up to drown out the standard acoustic sound coming off the guitar. It's quite a head twister if you don't. Also with the Variax you can MIDI into notation software and have it write the tab (or notes) as you play. I haven't tried it with TabEdit, but it works quite well with Sibelius G7. I don't own a Variax, but I do have a MIDI pickup on an old junk guitar that I sometimes write with and was looking for a better alternative.

Sorry I'm a little off topic, but the thread did go this way.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  2:27:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hey Dave, actually the sonic manipulation is all done in software onboard the Variax. There are individual piezo pickups for each string and the output for each is sent to an onboard processor that does waveform shaping to apply the characteristics of the emulated guitar to the pickup signal. This approach allows you to get every sound out of the Variax you can get out of a regular guitar, including slides, bends, hammers, muted strings, etc.

Because the software is directly modifying the waveform rather than doing pitch analysis, however, the Variax doesn't do MIDI unless you add a MIDI pickup.

I have one of their electrics...it's a lot of fun!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 11/15/2004 2:34:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  3:28:15 PM  Show Profile
Craig,

You're correct. The one I beta tested was modified for MIDI.

Mahalo,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Stringbreaker
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  07:25:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stringbreaker's Homepage
The Variax can a problem hearing the notes from the strings and from the amp being at odds. A better solution, if expensive, is to be found at www.transperformance.com. This is the self tuning guitar that you may have heard of. Currently for electric (although an acoustic model was developed with Michael Hedges in mind) we are still waiting for a less expensive model. But for a player of tunings, the ability to accurately retune the guitar to any of hundreds of thousands of tunings at the touch of a button [even while playing for a slide guitar effect] could really make a difference. I am hoping that a slack key virtuoso will find a way to take advantage of this device. I have heard it played and this is an instrument that is waiting for a virtuoso to rise to it. I haven't heard whether it is adapted for midi, but that seems more than likely. Also, any traditional guitar effects processor or amplification setup can be used with it.

Crazy Man Tuning
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  07:57:12 AM  Show Profile
Patrick,

Cool stuff! Mahalo.

Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic