Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Christmas Ki ho'alu
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  08:39:46 AM  Show Profile
Anyone have or know where I can find Christmas Music tablature in Ki ho'alu? I have both the Dancing Cat CDs and am trying to work-out the songs myself from the liner notes and the music but it is slow work. I would like to add some ki ho'alu to my church music in anticipation of the upcoming season.
Mika'ele

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  12:59:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Mika'ele
I have a medley worked out in taropatch of several Christmas songs that could be expanded easily into full tunes . They are not very difficult to work out, or to play, but they can be embelished to any degree you wish.
My tablature is not the best, but you are welcome to look it over

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2004 :  10:20:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Leonard,
Someone else asked the same question yesterday. I will be in forced hibernation for a week or so folowing knee surgery tomorrow, and I plan to spruce up the tab I have written for that medley, among other things. if you give me a couple days I will try to get it into a printed form and could share by mail, I guess, as I have no idea how to put it on the internet.
If you have not heard back on this subject in a week, hit it again and I will be jolted into a response, or just email me directly via the members section of TP
Karl

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2004 :  10:57:03 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Bruddah Karl -
Best wishes for your surgery. I hope your recovery is swift - and be careful of those crutches in the frozen north!! They slip on ice.....
auntie

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  01:00:30 AM  Show Profile
Leonard,

Thanks for posting the tab good idea miss typed link this works http://www.leonardrumery.com/

Aloha

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  06:05:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
Thanks, Steve, for the correction. I'll remember the http from now on. Karl, good luck with your surgery - sometimes these events give us time to work on stuff that has gotten put off. I understand that they'll get you up on your knees pretty fast after the surgery. Remember to rest the rest of your body while recuperating.
As to posting tabs, here's what I did. I hope others will chime in with other options. My tab was created in Finale. I downloaded a completely free (not shareware) program (called PDF995) that inserts itself as a printer, so when I go to print the document from Finale, I "print" to the PDF995 program instead of the real printer, and it creates a PDF document. PDF is the standard that Adobe Acrobat Reader uses (which is another standard program that they give away for free and which many computers have already installed). So then I post the PDF file of my tab on my website. If people go to the site and click on the PDF file, Acrobat Reader (on their computer)opens it automatically because it has a PDF extension, and they can view it and print it. I tried the process and it comes out looking like I just printed it from Finale. Any computer program that prints your tab could use this method. If your tab is handwritten, you can scan it and the PDF995 program should convert the jpg or tif or gif file to a PDF which can then be posted and printed as above. I don't have a scanner so I haven't tested that. The process sounds complicated, but it's really simple after it's installed. Of course you need a way to convey the PDF file to others (email, post on a website, etc.) since I guess we can't attach it to a post here in the Patch. (That's probably a copyright and self-protection issue for the Patch, and rightly so.) Other ideas on how to make our public domain tabs available?

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

sdm
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2004 :  3:50:29 PM  Show Profile
Leonard - thank you so much for posting your arrangement of "Silent Night". It's beautiful, simple, and easy enough for me to consider playing it at our church at Christmas. This will be my first solo performance since taking up guitar a couple years ago. I'd love to see your other arrangements. Thank you for sharing them.

Steve

Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  12:29:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
leonard,
Well, it took 4 days, but I finaly got through my medley. As it turns out, I had only a rudimentary arrangement to begin with, and, as I got into fleshing them out, I think I went a bit overboard. I kept "hearing" chord changes, notes, that were not in the songs as i rememberd them but I tried to put some of them into each song. It may be more trouble than it is worth, as I have yet to be able to play what I have written down in a fluid fashion. But, then, I am not a very good player, either..I think if I saw this version posted somewhere,i would probably think it was too involved to try to learn, and pick up your version of Silent Night (very nice, true to the original, easily playable) instead.
I still don;t understand all I know about how you said you transferreed your tab to internet, and not sure I want to learn, either. Send me a physical address if you would like a copy of the medley. You mentioned you downloaded a program, etc.. Shoot me some instructions via my personal email if you have time, so maybe I could share this stuff a little more easily...and legibly. My stuff is hand-written, in doctor script, if you know what i mean.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  05:48:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
Folks: I've posted another simple taropatch piece for Christmas - Away in a Manger - at www.leonardrumery.com. Go to the guitar page there and Manger and Silent Night are both there in PDF format. Adobe Acrobat Reader will open them automatically if you just click on them, and you can print them out. Feel free to reproduce them freely, but I'd appreciate being given credit for the arrangement.
I'd think it would be great if those of you who compose or arrange would consider doing some simple, short Christmas arrangements which we could all share. We could eventually compile a Taropatch Net Christmas song book. I would be happy to post them with your name on my website. Any takers? "Simple" is important, I think, since we may not want to spend a lot of time on a complicated piece that we only use in one month of the year. Season's Greetings! LRR

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  11:57:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
cool! i posted AIAM over in another thread. they're at http://www.cse.ucsd.edu/users/marzullo/AwayInAManger.MID and http://www.cse.ucsd.edu/users/marzullo/AwayInAManger.pdf. i think i like yours better; mine accentuates the waltz aspect of it perhaps too much.

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  12:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
I like your version very much. It's really quite different from mine (within the style imposed somewhat by the tuning). If I were to perform Away in a Manger, I think I'd play both yours and mine, linked as if a theme with variations. I'd sing the first verse with VERY simple accompaniment, and then (without a break) play our two arrangements (I think first yours and then mine) as variations on the theme. That's what I do with Sanoe. Let's keep these arrangements coming, so we can all have a Christmas repertoire by next December. I hope someone does a more up-tempo number now - I find the slow ones easier. Of course there aren't many carols that give the Youngstreet Blues impression, are there? LRR

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  12:48:00 PM  Show Profile
That works. You are so kind to post these for us! I just went back to the last time when you posted Silent Night. Weird you have to use the whole thing...
auntie

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2004 :  06:22:48 AM  Show Profile
If you use the Preview button before you click Post New Reply, you can test your links and pictures...

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2004 :  07:50:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
You can also delete the posts that didn't work by clicking the trash can icon at the top of the post or edit by clicking on the pencil icon (they will only appear on your posts).

Lance Takamiya, who teaches slack key at the University of Hawaii at Manoa and studied with Ozzie Kotani, has given me permission to share his slack key arrangement of "The First Noel". It's at http://www.patchett.com/kihoalu/tab/firstnoel.pdf

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2004 :  10:55:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
Thanks Dusty & Craig. I'll use the preview button next time. Also thanks to Lance for the First Noel. I'll try it over tonight.
If we get many more, we should figure out where to post them all. Could be my website if OK with the authors. I would put the attributions there along with the files. We'll keep that in mind and see how things develop. Of course an alternative is to just leave them referenced in each post. Anyway, keep 'em coming, everyone! LRR

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2004 :  11:25:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
My preference would be to have a new topic in which the first post would be a list of songs with links to the files. If new files are added then the post would be updated accordingly.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000