Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Christmas Ki ho'alu
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  2:24:39 PM  Show Profile
All,
I am truly amazed a what a simple question can turn into. What a splendid group of people on this net. Mahalo!!!

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  4:20:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Mahalo to everyone who has created/contributed to this Christmas Ki ho'alu songbook for all of us fellow TP'ers! Pretty awesome!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  8:35:41 PM  Show Profile
You guys inspired me -- I've sent a TAB and a scratch mp3 to Andy for posting --
It's a medly with only 1 repetition of each song, but I think there's enough to give ideas for two reps -- especially of the second song. The mp3 is 'cause I don't TAB so good, and I don't have the interest to take the time to learn to TAB better. It's a rough recording -- no expression, etc, but it should help you read the TABS
Mele Kalikimaka!
Go to Top of Page

IzAwGd
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  07:59:58 AM  Show Profile
First off Mahalo for the TABs. I've started learning The First Noel and have a style question for you Master Slackers. Being new at this for about 9 months now I'm almost thru Ozzies book. But, when I look at these Christmas songs, what finger style do you use, 3 or 4? At this time I'm learnig with three, but if all future more complicated songs will have the (what I call) 4- string picks at once, should I be going back and trying to use a 4 finger style for Ozzies book or stay with 3. What do you do? I think I may have just opened a big ol can of worms here but would like to hear some thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  08:50:18 AM  Show Profile
Garry,

It's not really that important. It's more about what works best for you. If you listen to Led or Kevin, you'd swear they use all the fingers on both hands. The truth is they play with two fingers. I think you should try a 4 finger style and see if it works. It's more about nahe nahe than it is technique. Jus press um bruddah. And have fun.

Dave

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 12/15/2004 08:51:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  09:36:34 AM  Show Profile
Garry,

Dave is right, but there are a few things you can try that are fun. I am assuming you mean by 4 finger, the thumb and 3 fingers of the right hand. Give it a shot, it is like a pinch. Another thing that can be done is a brush up with index finger while plucking the bass string with the thumb, or a strum down with the back of the index finger. Depending on speed, you can get lots of pretty effects that way. Keola "rolls" off from index to ring finger after the bass pluck and that is nice, too. But, as Dave said, play it sweet and connected whatever you do.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  09:48:23 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, what Dave said. What you do with your fingers is more important than how many you use. John Keawe told me to just use whatever finger gets there first. You have to find what is comfortable for you. I use thumb, index and middle and occasionally throw in the ring finger for fuller chords.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  09:56:10 AM  Show Profile
Garry -
A big part of the answer to your question depends on the music you play. The more notes in a chord, the more fingers you use, especially if you're going to "pinch" the chord, as opposed to strum or roll. After that, it's a matter of style. For example, this year I've worked up my arrangement of a Spanish carol, A La Nannita Nana. There's a section there with a lot of notes played rapidly in succession -- I could do it alternating pointer and middle finger, but it sounds choppy - so I went to ring, middle, pointer (with thumb of bass) -- but at one point I had some "cross string" picking, and it felt more natural to get that note by plucking with my pinky. Still could play the song with 2 fingers, but the other way sounds smoother and, once I got used to playing with multiple fingers, was easier. Interestingly, however, last week I played it in performance and the first time through I was too nervous and slipped back to just pointer & middle -- (2nd 2 reps I went to multiple fingers) I'm not sure the audience noticed.
Finally, if you want to do those "rolls" which not only Keola uses but Ozzie makes extensive use of them, so does Steve Sano, you've got to pracxtice doing them with at least pointer, middle, ring -- it is a great sound that takes a lot of practice to pull off correctly -- I do it as part of my warm up with various positions up and down the fretboard for 2 - 3 minutes a day.
Now really finally -- technique in itself is absolutely unimportant -- the only reason for technique is to be able to play what you want when you want it. Personally, after getting down basics -- pinch chords (with thumb, pointer & middle) and strums -- I didn't, and still don't worry about technique until there's something I want to express, then I learn the technique -- not the way young students are expected to learn, but gray-beards get some slack.
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  1:19:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
Great advice from everyone. I came from a 3-finger plus thumb background in classical guitar, so I tend to play that way, and my Christmas arrangements (which don't sound really Hawaiian) are set up with that in mind. But when I play real ki ho'alu, I play with the finger that gets there first, as someone said above. Some parts of a piece I always play the same (I play moe uhane entirely and consistently with 2 fingers and thumb, and Youngstreet Blues with 3 fingers and thumb). I suggest that you try to sing the piece in your mind or hear it in your head, and eventually one of your fingers will just go play the right note. Harold Hill's Think Method, although that may only work with the Minuet in G. I absolutely agree that technique is to serve what you want to say with the music, and that you'll come up with the technique (with work) when you know what you want to say. Don't worry about it. By the way, I posted today another tune of Away in a Manger (there's the usual one, and the Flow Gently Sweet Afton one, and Cradle Song tune - the new one is Cradle Song tune, which is a beautiful English tune). There are some others in the pipeline from other contributors and I will get them up as soon as I can. My internet was out all day yesterday. LRR

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

IzAwGd
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  09:13:10 AM  Show Profile
Wow! That wasn't a can of worms opened, it was the dumping of the cornucopia of finger style knowledge. All you need are a few illustrations, measures of music and call it Chapter 1 "Finger Style". Thank you all for your responses, I'll have to try them all. It'll probably take me 2 months to get the song together. But with a high of 19 degrees forecast for Chicago this Sunday, I'll have plenty of time to practice this Winter. I'd also like to say Thank You! to everyone on the site. Thanks for your gift of music throughout the year (knowledge of history, music, events, style, picks, vacation tips etc...). Without YOU! my guitar would probably still be sitting in the corner of the romm for another... who knows how many years.
Merry Christmas To All!
Garry
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  05:13:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
I've removed some of my extraneous posts in this thread. Now that the Songbook has its own space, just look there for new items periodically. I won't be posting the additions in THIS topic, unless there are comments to be made about the pieces. Thanks to all who have contributed so far. Don't be shy about contributing - this is a good exercise for all levels of skill, both as to playing and arranging. For me, the most fun is to see the different takes on similar basic material, and to appreciate the bounty of creativity that this brings out in the contributors. Keep sending me stuff after Christmas, so we'll have a full book for next year. LRR

Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  10:03:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
Thanks to Steve for putting Mark E's O Holy Night into tab - much easier to read. If you downloaded the handwritten one, now you can get the printed one. LRR

Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  7:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
My fervent thanks to Steve, as well. I've not gotten at all proficient in using tabledit or the like and wanted to get this on in time for Christmas. So, many, many mahalos to Steve and Leonard for transforming my handwritten mess and posting it. In the spirit of Aloha, this was done entirely unasked!!

Mark (E)
Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  7:43:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Further thought: Is there much difference between the spirit of Aloha and the spirit of Christmas? Perhaps not. Hmmm...

Mark (E)
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  10:46:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
This is a pretty cool thread. It inspired me to tab out my arrangement of Auld Lang Syne for taropatch tuning. I put a copy at http://www.rahul.net/gaa/tab/AuldLangSyne.pdf Leonard can update his list.

Gary
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000