Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Alaska Pik Fitting
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2004 :  3:07:43 PM  Show Profile
Aloha,

I just purchased a set of Alaska Piks to use during those times when I break a fingernail (small for the ring finger, medium for middle and index fingers plus large for the thumb). They are all very tight on my fingers and even after looking at the custom fitting directions, I'm uncertain how to loosen them up. I hate to start hacking and ruin them (I waited 2 weeks to get them plus paid more in shpping than the cost of the picks!). Should I cut away part of the back (pad of the finger) portion or does that middle top section loosen the pik?

Mahalo for any insight here.

Nahenahe

kahealani
Akahai

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2004 :  7:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit kahealani's Homepage
I used to use Alaska picks, and they were also tight on my fingers, but I just let 'em go. Don't do that because they'll turn your fingers purple.
Anyway, someone told me that you boil in hot water. The pick is done boiling when you can slightly mold to your finger.

Make sure you don't boil it too long!

Hope this helps!

Brittni Paiva
www.brittnipaiva.com
www.myspace.com/brittnipaiva
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2004 :  9:33:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
If they're all very tight then you probably have the wrong sizes. (How does the menium feel on your ring finger and the large on your middle or index finger?) If you email the company they'll probably let you do a trade. If you don't want to pay the extra postage or if your fingers are between sizes then boiling them is probably your best bet for drastic changes. If they're digging into your finger pads then clip away part of the back (file after clipping to smooth it). If they're tight all around then the middle top section should help. Make small changes until you get it to the point you're comfortable with.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2004 :  11:46:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
I keep a set of three in my case for when I break a nail (and yes, I have actually hollered out at a truck stop in rural Oregon: "Damn, I broke a nail!!!!!" Shoulda seen the looks I got...)

I suggest getting to work with some nail clippers and a file. In the first place, they are way too long -- as in sticking out too far past your nail. I cut mine back to where they essentially replace the broken nail.

Then I went to work on the body of the pick -- filing and trimming until they fit snugly but didn't pinch. Mostly I trimmed the squared of edges around the top and bottom of slit that wraps around the meat of your finger. You can remove quite a bit of material without destroying the integrity of the pick -- just be sure you do it a little at a time and play a lot after each little change! ! It was an almost year-long process for me.

I did try the hot water routine, but they still needed some trimming. You want them to fit firmly, but not be uncomfortable. But yes, you won't ever forget that you are wearing them.

I've done many gigs with a single alaska pick sub-ing for a broken nail. I've never had any luck with using one on my thumb, though. I found the angle to be all wrong. Personal taste, I'm sure.

BTW: Fingerstyle wiz Chris Proctor uses Alaska Picks, and talked about his techniques for getting them to fit in a workshop he gave here a while back. He even trims one of the little bands that go across the back of the nail.

Good luck!

cheers,

Mark

Edited by - Mark on 11/27/2004 11:48:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2004 :  12:14:20 PM  Show Profile
I use Alaska picks on my index and middle fingers and a regular plastic thumbpick. I try them on before I buy them. You may want to try the large size. However they vary somewhat in tightness. They wear out to quickly for me to doctor them much. If anything, I just smooth them with fine sand paper or an emery board. I've become accustomed to their length.

They are sort of hard to find locally here too. So, when I find them, I buy all I can.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000