Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Slack Key Secrets Tabs?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

David
Akahai

92 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2002 :  3:44:13 PM  Show Profile  Send David an ICQ Message
A while ago I was lucky in scoring Uncle Ray's Slack Key Secrets video, which originally came with tabs before going out of print. Unfortunately I no mo da tabs, auwe. What an excellent video for learning his brush technique and feeling the spirit of his slides and vamps. If anyone out there in slack-key-land has this and would be willing to send a photocopy ... I'd be willing to pay $5 .... ok I know .. stay too cheap. Kden, I'm willing to pay moah. I'm pretty desperate so a'ole pilikia. And if anyone has Raymonds out-of-print book for sale, I would be so interested. Any condition is fine as it's complete. Tanks eh.

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2002 :  6:29:13 PM  Show Profile
I have a copy of Raymond's booklet for Slack Key Secrets. My co0py is a small 28 page booklet. I'm happy to copy and mail at cost. Send me your snail address: LSRS @ ix.netcom.com
Raymond
San Jose

I, too would like to "borrow" Raymond's book, as well as G. Kanahele's on Hawaiian music. Willing to pay costs plus leave a more than adequate security deposit.
Raymond
San Jose

Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2002 :  7:19:06 PM  Show Profile
On this site, Andy gives the address of Raymond Kane. He says you can write him or his wife to get copies of a music text and copies of the video. I suggest starting there; put the money in the artist's pocket.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2002 :  7:55:29 PM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou,

I have it on good authority(a knowledgable guy who sometimes posts here) that George Kanahele's book :"Hawaiian Music and Musicians" is going to be reprinted soon.

So, if you can hold your breath a while, it might be available and a lot cheaper than the $100+ that I spent to get a copy.

That said, it is fascinating for what we don't know about Hawaiian music as known in the 1970s, but it is not going to make you a better slack key player. Me neither.

(sample question: What are Keola's and Kapono's full names [especially the first names]? Hint: one of each starts with "B")

(2nd sample question: "What instrument was Gabby *really* accomplished on?)

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

David
Akahai

92 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2002 :  9:04:08 PM  Show Profile  Send David an ICQ Message
Bruddah Raymond, I feel so fortunate finding these tabs with my first post on this fine site. Mahalo! I'll repay you somehow in the future beyond covering your expenses.

Pauline, I agree with you fully that all of the artists in this small niche market must be supported without circumvention. Uncle Ray may be seen on a number of videos. "Ki ho'alu, That's Slack Key" by Susan Friedman is still available and wonderful. "Slack Key Secrets of Ray Kane" is highly desirable, but it sadly out of print. This is the video I referenced above, and when in print tabs could be subsequently ordered. Finally, Ray and Elodia are selling the video "Play and Learn Slack Key" from home. This video is also a must have on any students wish list.

I recently called and talked to Aunty Elodia to ask about material which they are marketing now. What a gracious lady she is and a legend in her own right. So Hawaiian! My sweetheart always says "a beautiful name for a beutiful lady". I asked about Uncle Ray's out-of-print book "Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar" and discovered that the plates for this book stay no mo, and hope for a reprint looks unlikely. She and Ray are presently out of stock on the Play and Learn video, but it should be available in about three weeks.

Anyone who does not have this video can call the Kane's directly at 808-668-8682. No be shy .... they truly personify the deepest meanings of aloha. If you do call to place an order you will be able to talk with living legends, and receive a video representing some of the finest music ever recorded. Ray's timing, passion and ability are at the very heart of slack key. What other musical field offers such access to great kumus and artists. K Sistah ...

He welina

Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2002 :  9:19:50 PM  Show Profile
David,

Thanks so much for explaining. I'm sorry I misjudged what you said.

Somehow, slack key players seem like a different kind of people. Is it the aloha?

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

David
Akahai

92 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2002 :  9:49:46 PM  Show Profile  Send David an ICQ Message
Pauline,

The aloha is the heart, no? Bruddah Raymond demonstates this within two hours of my first post. It's in you as well standing for ethical behavior. It's in the music too .... from heart to hands.

"Live Aloha" is not just a bumpah stickah.

Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2002 :  1:54:15 PM  Show Profile
I just thought of another difference.

On other guitar boards, when the thread creeps off topic, it usually ends up in banter or a comparison of beers. Here, it turns into discussions of past and future pilgrimages to Hawaii and who met/will meet whom!

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2002 :  12:58:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Finally, Ray and Elodia are selling the video "Play and Learn Slack Key" from home. This video is also a must have on any students wish list...She and Ray are presently out of stock on the Play and Learn video, but it should be available in about three weeks.
I just called the number you gave and was shocked when Ray answered the phone. He told me the videos were in and put Elodia on to give me the info for ordering. I ended up speaking with her for a little while...you're not kidding about personifying the deepest meanings of Aloha! Among other things she said that people from all over the world had ordered the video and both she and Ray were amazed when people came to visit them who had learned slack key just from watching it. In any case, you can order a copy by sending a check or money order for $39 ($35 for the video and $4 for shipping within the U.S.). I assume the address Elodia gave me is their home address, so I don't want to post it in a public forum Give them a call at 808-668-8682 if you're interested (remember that their last name is pronounced Kah-nay, not Kayn).

I think Elodia said there were 18 songs on the tape with the camera tight on Ray's hands. It's a "watch and learn" format...no tablature.

The "Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar" book is, indeed, unavailable as David noted, with the plates having been lost. I have a background in publishing, however, and offered to recreate them from a copy. We'll see if she takes me up on the offer.

If anyone has a copy of the book, can you email any info on the publisher that appears in the book to me at craig @ patchett.com ? Mahalo.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 08/06/2002 02:01:05
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2002 :  01:36:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Craig,

You spoke to a slack key legend and a legendary woman today!

You can see which songs are on the video here. If you run an older version of Netscape, you might have to go here. With the Kane's permission, the address is also listed there. If you like Uncle Ray's music, GET THE VIDEO! And tell 'em Andy from NJ says hello!

Aloha,
Andy

Ps. If you go to O`ahu, take the drive out to Wai`anae for a true lesson in aloha from the Kane `ohana.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2002 :  1:33:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I just located a souce for the "Slack Key Secrets" video. Paul Weinstein at Bounty Music in Kahului claims he can still get them, so if you're interested here's the contact info:

Bounty Music
111 Hana Hwy. #105
Kahului, HI 96732
808-871-1141
FAX 808-871-1138
paul @ ukes.com

Craig
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2002 :  2:04:38 PM  Show Profile
Pauline, and others,
A quick words about the TAB sheets I sent David.
I completely agree that we need to support our artists by purchasing from them whenever possible, or at least from 3rd. party vendors.
I was told by two different people that the booklet in question was no longer available. In cases like that, I don't see any problem in furnishing a copy of material for the purposes of personal study or enjoyment. I also did not take any money for them.
If the booklet is, in fact, available, someone please let me know and if it comes up in the future, I will refer the person to Ray K.
Raymond
San Jose

Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2002 :  01:27:32 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
I just went through the process of trying to order Ray Kane's "Slack Key Secrets..." video frrom Bounty; spoke with Paul and Robert, and they CANNOT get that one, as they thought they could.

Every new day is a gift waiting to be unwrapped
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2002 :  1:23:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
I just went through the process of trying to order Ray Kane's "Slack Key Secrets..." video frrom Bounty; spoke with Paul and Robert, and they CANNOT get that one, as they thought they could.
Yup...I just received the copy I ordered today (after having one get lost in the mail), only to find out they had sent me Ray's other video, "Learn to Play Ki Ho`alu" (and overcharged me for it, at that), which I already have.

Sorry about the confusion...when Paul originally said he could get it I sent him an email telling him it was out of print and asking him if he was sure and he said he was.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 09/04/2002 00:38:43
Go to Top of Page

David
Akahai

92 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2002 :  12:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Send David an ICQ Message
Just a quick followup to this topic. Presently on Ebay Unco Ray's video is avaiable .. with the auction terminating 30 hours after the time of this post. It started at $5 and is currently ova $40. But some of you kolohe kine high rollah types might be interested. Interesting to see how high it goes!! Or ... you could wait until the next one comes up ... one of these years. If it was me .. I'd go for the gusto!! Or maybe Walter Carvalho may resurrect this ... he did a wonderful job directing the flow of this video ... but I no hold my bret. Good luck to all of you wild bidder types!! YeeHaww

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2002 :  1:44:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Just a quick followup to this topic. Presently on Ebay Unco Ray's video is avaiable .. with the auction terminating 30 hours after the time of this post.
Aargh! I've been following this auction for the past week hoping to grab it at the last minute. No more...with 5 hours to go the price is up to $102.50! I guess someone took your advice to go for the gusto. Oh well, too rich for my blood.

Craig
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000