Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Songs indexed by tuning, anybody done it?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2004 :  5:56:09 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
I know somebody out there has probably done this already(Cpatch?)

Anybody have a list of songs from CD, LP, Cassette organized by tuning and showing the source.
Yep, I know about Cpatch's list of videos and books here on Taropatch, but has anyone taken the next step with that?

Sometimes I can recognize a tuning and sometimes no go, so something like this would help me alot.

If nobody's done it, perhaps I'll start by making the list for Dancing Cat recordings(so easy!).

If you want to add to this, just send an email like this:

Gabby Pahinui: Best of the Gabby Band
Panini Records PCD-1010
1 G(none of these below are accurate by the way, as far as I know)
2 F
3 A
4 G wahine
5 Gabby C Mauna Loa, Atta C
6 F wahine
7 G TP(G TaroPatch)
8 F TP(G Taropatch dropped)
9 A
10 B
11 C
12 D
13 E
14 F

Put the track titles if you want, but not necessary.

Maybe Andy or Craig can send me the table template, excel file or whatever you used for the instructional list and we could post this bunch eventually too.

thanks,
Ross

Edited by - rossasaurus on 12/08/2004 5:59:25 PM

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2004 :  6:27:05 PM  Show Profile
You could import cpatch's list into Access (or another DB) and create queries or just import it into Excel and sort on the tuning column.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2004 :  6:30:02 PM  Show Profile
Ross,

In Mark Hanson's book "The Complete Book of Alternate Tunings"

(well not really complete - but close to it)

He does list examples of popular songs played in each tuning.

Many of which are Hawaiian, and he does have special sections
for Slack Key.

So he is heading in the direction you speak of, but his list
is not very large.

A cannonical listing by tuning of titles in Hawaiian would be
a pretty neat thing to have.

But be aware "the White House will deny any connection with
your endeavour Mr. Phelps"....

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2004 :  7:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ross,

You envision an extensive list? I think Dancing Cat has done this for a lot of slack key recordings already. See http://www.dancingcat.com/skbook5-hirecordings.shtml I just happened to be visiting dancingcat.com today and didn't remember all this info being there.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  06:24:18 AM  Show Profile
That's quite a list! Thanks for finding it, Andy.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  11:59:20 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Woo-hoo Andy!

EXACTLY what I was after, thanks for uncovering it.

Ross
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2004 :  08:45:22 AM  Show Profile
I hadn't checked that site for a while -- WOW! that whole section had great info -- just going through the list of different bass patterns on different songs -- wish I had that a few months ago when I was trying to understand an arrangement -- I got to the same answer, but I could have saved myself a couple of hours
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2004 :  10:38:30 AM  Show Profile
I hadn't visited it in a long time either. The entire sequence of 9, or so, web pages is an *astonishing* scholarly reference work (even though some of it is taken from liner notes). I can't believe that Winston would take the time out of his busy life to compile and write this. Talk about a labor of love...

It also references TP.net on its links page, so we know it is really good :-)

...Reid

PS. Some of the internal URL links don't work, so use the blue pull-down at the top of the page to navigate: I have bookmarked all of the pages separately.
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2004 :  06:07:44 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Andy!

I thought I was nuts (?!) but I created a data base of tunings for songs by artist and album. Whenever I got a new CD which listed tunings I'd input it into my data base so when I had a CD on and liked the tune I could access the data base and get going quicker than trying to figure out the tuning if I wasn't sure. I also have special notes recorded like (taro patch tuned down one-half step or also known as ...)One thing nice about it is it's searchable. It's probably up to about 180-200 songs now and I'd be more than happy to share it with anyone. Also, once shared, would there be a way where everybody could add to it as they get new songs and tunings down?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000