Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 beffing up the case for travel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2004 :  7:45:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
To re-visit an age old subject, why coundn't a person just use some epoxy cloth over the exterior of a guitar case to help increase it's ability to withstand airline baggage handlers? I have a Taylor in one of the plastic cases. It occured to me that this wouldn;t be any harder than restoring my old freight canoe last summer. Just sand up the exterior so the epoxy will grip, slap on a coat, embed the cloth and let her dry. It would add only a minimal amount of weight to the case, and I could even run a vertical rib down the length of the front and back about 1/2 inch high for further resistance to damage.
Anybody ever try this? I could get one of those huge travel cases to put this oe in, but tell me why my idea wouldn;t be just as good. I am certain at least one of you will come up with a good reason!
I don;t know if I would subject one of my older Taylor leather covered cases to that treatment, but this case is only plastic, so aesthetics is no problem here.
I would think one other possible advantage to this method might be, you could still possibly, sometimes,once in a while, be allowed to carry the bugger on the plane. But I doubt you could get away with that with one of the case-within-a-case set-ups.
Whaddyathink?

Karl
Frozen North

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2004 :  9:32:58 PM  Show Profile
Hey Karl,
My concern here is not the impermeablility of the case (or my spelling)...it's the advisability of an inner suspension or cushioning between the guitar and the insides of the case...

In better violin cases there's now a suspension foam cushion to absorb shock. And that's just for the rugged violinist drinking and fighting lifestyle... and that's NOT for checking the instrument through--which probably isn't done or required FOR VIOLIN on full size aircraft. But those catgut fights in the pit are nasty.

I have had to check fiddle at the plane on those small commuters e.g. South Dakota and Aloha Airlines!) Ah, South Dakota...
in winter...shoots, who am I talking to...dats a cakewalk for an Alaska boy.

Perhaps for the case interior you could use "Charmin"...but be careful not to use single ply! And only use white...no recycled either.
This is, of course, the Egg Nog speaking.

Actually, I used "The Clam" to Hawaii and did ok, but I understand the desire to keep it under your control.
Where are you flying into, and are you then taking a smaller commuter?

Anyway, just because you turn your case into "Old Ironsides" doesn't make the INTERIOR a safe place for your guitar.

The fiddler has spoken.
Thanks for the tunes.
The Wizard of Fifths...(hic)
Enjoy your sojourn to Hawaii!
Bon Voyage!
Gordo
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  06:39:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
A Calton case is multiple layers of fiberglass, features waterproof seals around the edges, has very heavy hardware, and is custom fitted on the inside for the guitar it protects. According to my luthier friends, the most critical component is careful support of the peghead and upper neck. The peghead is a fairly large mass suspended atop a relatively thin and weak (cross grain) strip of wood, and high acceleration forces, such as letting the case fall from standing up can easily snap the headstock if it is allowed to move.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  10:02:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Karl -

I tried the fiberglass routine years ago on a dobro case I'd modified to fit my Swedish dulcimer. This was not a "plastic" case, rather one of the old wood & tolex deals. I slapped an amazingly ugly layer of glass cloth & resin (hey, I was a hippie after all) over the whole outside of the case and added some add'l foam inside. Flew with it for years.

However, I would strongly recommend against doing this with your Taylor plastic case. The truth is, you'll get far better protection with that case just as it is than with anything short of an ATA approved flight case or one of Bruce Lamb's overcases.

Why? Becasure the plastic case will give (or break) with the shocks and not transfer all of the energy to the guitar. Armoring it with extra fiberglass would make it rigid, so any bump would go right to your guitar's neck. Ouch!

I've flown with my Taylor in the original SKB case, checked, maybe a dozen times. Sometimes the case came back damaged, once bad enough that the airlines replaced it for me. Never was there any harm to my guitar.

I also use an SKB keyboard case to fly with my big weissenborn-shaped dulcimer many, many times to no ill effect.

However, since I fly a lot, I've now gone with a Calton for the guitar. Peace of mind is worth the extra bucks & weight.

BTW: If you choose to fly with your plastic case, pick up a couple of the long plastic bags the airlines use for golf bags, skies, etc. Pack one for the return trip and stick your guitar in the other. Most of the accidents come from the latches, etc. getting caught in the conveyors. Also, I always run a trap around the outside to guard against the case popping open.

Happy travels.

m
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  11:19:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Thank you all for the input. I have flown a lot with my guitars, too, and on several occassions had to check them as regular baggage, sometimes as gate checks. Never had a problem, but we all hear of the basket cases some axes come back as, so I just wanted to check.
I think for now I will take the advise and stick with the SKB case. Perhaps a Calton will be somewhere in the future. I will add some airbags around the neck and headstock though, just for extra stability.
Think I will still bring along the Backpacker, just in case, AND, more importantly, to have something to do during those long layovers. I sure learn a lot of music waiting for airplanes.
Gordo, we fly into Kona, hop to Oahu to visit Bobby Moderow for a day, back to Kona for rest of week, then a week on Kaua'i. Probably won't take guitar to Oahu. Don;t know if any are comuter planes or not. I wil just have to trust my Taylor case this time

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  8:47:11 PM  Show Profile
We'll be walkin' in your footsteps late January...at least the Kona part...

Hey, have we previously listed the links to Calton, Bruce Lamb and the SKB manufacturers on Taropatch?

Have a mai-tai for us, Karl.
G
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000