Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Can a mainland haole play slack key?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  12:00:20 PM  Show Profile
Auntie Karl, your my new hero...right on.
From the first thread on this subject it has sure generated a lot of heat, Enough said. I believe you voice what many of have thought as well.
Maybe I'll look you up in about 2 years, I'll be taking a shot at Denali in '06.
Great photo, you gotta be using one HUGE thumb-pick. yuk-yuk
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  4:12:50 PM  Show Profile
'Eh Karl!
Howzit? More aunties than uncles - who you think has to hang around and take care of keiki? Actually, when talking to an older gentleman, or asking a question like: "Uncle, how you play this?" or "how you get opihi?" or say "Uncle, time for kau kau" it's good - and in our (yours and my) age group, we easily call each other auntie and uncle, sometimes teasing... "uncle Lino, please make bahbahcue fish" (obviously the early missionaries were all from Bahstahn)
It's probably the same for you to go to Hawai'i or come here so go there. But if you come here, please stop in, stop over, or just stop. But warning... so far my only Kumu is slkho Rik.....
- we have lots of dolphins in the bay today, but too many clouds in the sky.

Aloha!!!!

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  6:53:38 PM  Show Profile
When I first joined this site, this was a new topic...I even replied. Came back in here recently, and it is still alive. I have listened to a fair number of players. Today, for the first time, Cindy Combs. Not a natural born Hawaii'n, but excellent NTL. Not even sure if you guys are discussing THAT issue anymore! However, I still maintain that if an artist who LOVES the style and is willing to relocate to the source AND practice, then it does not matter where one is from. Its the age old pattern of desire leads to guru leads to enlightenment leads to excellence leads to recognition leads to followers and so on (it repeats). BTW, somewhere in there is a heck of a lot of practice!!

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  4:52:23 PM  Show Profile
Playing for me is very personal. I play what I enjoy. I play for myself and anyone else who might want to listen. It just happens to be in the slack key style. I'm not Hawaiian; I don't come from Hawaii (although I visit as often as possible); I'm enjoying learning the culture and the music from the masters.

Sheila and I just returned from Kauai and were wowed by the likes of Ken Emerson, Pancho Graham and Kirby (I'm embarassed - I've forgotten his last name). We got to meet up with Karl and jam a bit (Karl you missed the big thunder and lightning storm with the tornado watch!!).

I don't think that we need to be constrained by a particular perception of what slack key should be or by who one should be to play it. I'm too old to sweat the small stuff.

If you like it, it's good.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  05:43:22 AM  Show Profile
Well said Dusty.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  08:35:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Dusty
You hit the nail on the head,man.
OK by us we missed the storm; got back here to a week of -55-60 that puts a lot more fear into me than 10 gazillion volts shootin around the sky for a few hours. Lightning MIGHT strike you, but that cold just gets EVERYWHERE:)

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  4:21:10 PM  Show Profile
BBRRRRR...

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  4:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
How'd you do dat!?!?!!?!?!? Dusty?
Are those the ones you left at the motel in Kapa'a?

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  4:58:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Well, go check out David Kamakahi's latest CD, "Pa'ani" and answer me this question;
Can a Hawaiian kid write and sing and play cajun, mexican, old timey country, Eagles-style ballads, on the uke, and still be worth listening to?
Ya, you betcha.
I know this thread could go on forever, but I thought I'd give the kid a boost here. Great album, and his voice, just like his dad's, is so nahenahe. A good listen, and I hope he does more.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000