Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Seeing Slack Key players on Oahu
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  09:48:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
My vacation plans are now complete and I'd like some suggestions from those in the know. I'll be on Oahu from February 22 thru March 2, staying in Waikiki. My wife and I would really like to spend a lot of time listening to good players. Where do we do that? I assume they're playing clubs or hotels or bars and so on. Any specific suggestions? I wrote to Ray Kane about taking a lesson and getting his tab book, but I haven't heard back from him. I really enjoy watching him play on his DVD, although Waianae Slack Key (which I'd like to learn) isn't on it. I guess I'll just have to listen over and over to the CD. It's OK with me. Anyway, please let me know your favorite places to hear ki ho'alu on Oahu. Thanks. LRR

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  11:58:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Leonard,

I'd phone the Kanes when you get there or just prior to your trip. Contact info is here. Here are a few links to get you started.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  12:14:13 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Leonard,
When you get to Oahu, check also in the Friday edition of the Honolulu Star Bulletin, they will also list what's happening in & around the island of who's playing where that week.
You can also visit Aloha Tower MarketPlace, almost every resturant has a well known Hawaiian performer playing...its usually posted outside along with their menu's, the same goes for the major hotels.
You can also visit, gohawaii.com
Auntie Genoa Keawe plays every thursday night at the Marriott
Hope this helps.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  1:43:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Mike Ka`awa at Honey's is tremendous. The #1 spot for me is Kapono's at Aloha Tower, Led Ka`apana gives it away on Tuesday evening unless he's touring. I would go there directly from the airport <grin>. Also as Andy says, check the TGIF in the Honolulu Advertiser. Look for Mel Amina, I think he plays in standard tuning but he's a virtuoso player and folks have told me that his show is deep. Sean Na`aoau records a lot of Jawaiian but his Waikiki gigs emphasize sweet traditional Hawaiian tunes. Ray Sowders plays sweet slack key as well.

I have yet to find a "slack key guitarist" just doing solo instrumentals except for a couple of numbers Ray Sowders did at the Ward Warehouse/Native Books Na Mele Nei concert he did. Slack key is integrated into vocal Hawaiian music and adds its flavor to the mix.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 01/24/2005 8:55:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  3:24:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
Leonard,

I'm usually free on Mondays and Fridays, give me a call if you would like a lesson one on one.
Peter Medeiros
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  8:13:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Leonard,
You might try contacting Bobby Moderow. His band, Maunalua, is great fun to watch and they are really a tight group. He also likes to give lessons. Check the Maunalua web site. If you contact him, please give him my regards.
Good luck.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  06:25:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
Thanks to all for the great tips! I'm making out the schedule which evidently will include more nightlife than usual. Which is fine with me. Your advice will make this a great trip! Thanks. LRR

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  06:54:59 AM  Show Profile
For instrumental slack key on O`ahu, also seek out Jeff Peterson -- plays regularly at Michel's Restaurant at the Colony Surf Hotel.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  8:23:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Say, while we are on the subject of great local entertainment, I have some friends that are Maui-bound on Thursday and will be there until 2/5. Other than the Slack Key Master Series at the Ritz Carlton, what do y'all know about anything happening music-wise, especially down there in Kihei, Kamaole, Wailea way. Is there a place in Maalea too (was it the "Blue Marlin" or something like that)? Any suggestions?

Maggie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000