Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Stevie G
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Maureen
Aloha

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  03:18:09 AM  Show Profile
I didn't even think about Taro Patch. Stevie G (Guitar) Sparks from Lahaina just passed away from ALS (Lou Gehrig's). Here is his obit info:

Stephen Fitch Hubert "Stevie Sparks," Musician
>
> Stephen Fitch Hubert, 54, a musician professionally known as Stevie Sparks, died Jan. 20 at Clark Fork Valley Hospital in Plains, Mont., after a three-year battle with Lou Gehrig's Disease.
>
> Born in Washington D.C., Sparks' talent was recognized early, and he was privately tutored by Dr. Wilfred Briggs, choirmaster for The
> Landon Boys School, Bethesda, Md., and All Saints Episcopal Church,
> Chevy Chase, Md. In the 1960s, Sparks played with popular local bands, The Vagrants, The Resumes, and Stillroven. At age 18, he flirted with celebrity in Hollywood before moving to Maui, Hawaii, where he became house entertainer at world-famous resorts such as The Royal Lahaina, Kapalua Bay Hotel, and The Hotel Hana Maui.
>
> In 1971, Sparks was initiated into a local Hawaiian cabaret and was adopted into the island music scene by "Dottie and Her Maui Polynesian Revue." Sparks was the first "haole" (Caucasion) to play exclusively local nightclubs and local and traditional-style Hawaiian music. In 1997, they released the single "Aloha Nahiku," written by Sparks and sung by Kumu Hula Kamalu ("Dottie") Kaho`okele Kekahuna, which aired on Hawaiian radio stations. Sparks was the first white songwriter to break this barrier.

> Sparks received recognition for his songwriting in prestigious national competitions, and recorded nine independent collections of songs. He was also a popular music columnist, contributing to a number of newspapers and magazines in the United States and Canada.
>
> An advocate for Hawaiian indigenous rights, Sparks requested that in lieu of flowers, donations be sent to support the Kingdom of Hawaii, P.O. Box 2845, Wailuku, HI 96793, www.freehawaii.org.

> He is survived by his wife, Susan Campbell-Grey, of Hot Springs, Mont., his children, Jeremy Baker Hubert and Elizabeth Leilani Hubert of Vancouver, Canada; his parents Faye F. Delaney of Sun City, Ariz., and Earl Nelson Gray of Tampa, Fla.; his adoptive brother George Lawrence Hubert of Bethesda, Md.; a half-sister, Dawn Gray of Germantown, Md., and five half-brothers in Ohio and Arizona.
>
> Condolences to the family may be posted through his websites:
> www.steviesparks.com or www. leisurescience.com.

A memorial service will be held Thursday, Feb. 17 at 4:00 p.m. at the National Presbyterian Church chapel, Washington, D.C., with a reception following at Armand's on Wisconsin Avenue, Washington D.C.. His ashes will be laid to rest on the island of Maui on the anniversary of his passing, Jan. 20, 2006.

> Much aloha to you Stevie Guitar! May you continue to play and sing among the angels. E ke Akua pu me oe ( may God bless you) "Kumu Kamalu Kekahuna" and Halau Hula O Ma Kau Kau O Maui.

Me ke aloha,
Maulena

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  04:32:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Maureen,

I remember you posting Stevie Guitar loves support last year. Sorry to hear the news.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  07:43:49 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo Maureen

I havn't seen the papers yet, but,thank you for posting it here. A few years back, my son and i played for steves fund raiser at the mac - center. then lost contact with steve, at times i'd wonder where he was, and found your article this morning. I know aunty dottie, as well as the local bands that he played with. I will pass this on to the other musicians. I know steve really loved hana, we're playing out there over the weekend, and we'll send a special song out to him.

Me Ke Aloha
Kevin.... our warmest aloha to steve's ohana!

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000