Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Patrick Landeza in the news...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  4:46:50 PM  Show Profile
Ray, I think your criticism is accepted, but there are several sides to the issue. I think anyone who knows Patrick honors him for all he is doing and will do in the future for ki ho'alu and us. And whereas Auntie has the right to draw boundaries for her own website, in our minds, Patrick just ought to be the exception.
And what righteously draws your ire, mine, and probably most of TP is leaving him off the billing. To me that is rude. And I would think that might have been an oversight? and if not then the policy has some silly edges. The show wouldn't have taken place without Patrick.
Using the wording "stink eye" in the article was probably not well considered. And as you point out, reporters will pick and choose which quotes they use, and in so doing, change the flavor of the way the interview was held.
Remember, we're all striving for Aloha - not always realistic, but always a goal.
Auntie n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  10:55:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
Wow, what a very interesting thread. I don't know Patrick but, eh, he is Hawaiian. He is continuing the culture and the art of slack key. He was born in this world as a part-Hawaiian. Everything points to 'HAWAIIAN'. Just because of the geographical birthplace does not separate his status as a 'HAWAIIAN ARTIST'. Look at the whole picture, Ki Ho Alu is expanding...everybody from Whites, Jews, Blacks and Indians are playing slack key. At least in that part of the world we have KOKO (the native Hawaiian Bloodline) to represent Hawaii. Stop the BS...this world is getting too small. Many people of different races are playing our music. This would be a plus for Patrick being Hawaiian and playing Kihoalu with all of the other non-Hawaiians in other parts of the world. I think any artist with the Koko born outside of our Mother Islands of Hawaii should not be isolated or subjected as Outsiders. This is BS to me. Maybe its jeolousy or maybe its not. You gotta credit Patrick as Hawaiian period. I am a Hawaiian. I know how it feels to be a minority when I travel the world as a businessman and as a slack key artist. This world is too small to outcast us Hawaiians. Sometimes when traveling I get discriminated against but when people find out I'm from Hawaii and is Hawaiian I get treated differently. So be it. Everybody loves Hawaii. So for my mana'o to Patrick....'be humble and continue the music...the more you play the less the pilikia. Neva mind the jealous ones...they only wish they was you."
Aloha, Don Kauli'a, Hawaiian, One of a Kind Slack Key Artist

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000