Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Chords
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  6:36:42 PM  Show Profile
I have spent a lot of time (lately) in Mark Hanson's tab book (and others). Over the music score and tabs are guitar chords. Are these played on a non-slacked guitar, or are they played as though one has a base (440) tuned guitar, or are their different representations for these chords on slacked guitars?

Yeesh! Did that make sense?

Mike

Aloha, Mike

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  8:42:51 PM  Show Profile
Those chord symbols are for the song you are playing in the key the song is in. Ho'omalu is written out in the Key of G. If you want to play a second/background or rhythm guitar part you play the chords Mark has written. It doesn't really matter what tuning your guitar is in, as long as you are playing the proper chords. A "G" chord in Open G will be the same notes as a "G" chord in Open D. The voicing snd the "color" will be different. You may loose the open string bass at times. Oftentimes when the older Masters got together, they would play the same song using different guitars tuned to different tunings because of the richness of the sound that produced.

Where it gets more difficult is if you are playing the melody and a chordal accopanyment. For example, Mark has transcribed songs in Taro Patch wich are in the key of G. Most Hawaiian songs in the Key of G will use the G, C and D chords, which are easy to find in Taro Patch. I mean it is relatively easy to play the melody notes and flesh it out with those chords in Taro Patch. If you play the same song on a guitar in a different tuning, it is often more difficult to find easy positions for melody and chords together. (If you're playing a song in the Key of C, you will use mostly C - F - G chords --which, in Taro Patch is harder to play than the GCD chords. You also don't have the open string bass "C" in Taro Patch, which weakens the bass pattern.)
Musicians who play mostly open tunings frequently deal with songs written in different keys by transpositing the tunings, in other words, e.g. changing the tuning from an Ebm to a G, or playing around with the tunings.

Hope this makes sense to you. If not, maybe someone else can try to explain.

Edited by - RJS on 02/01/2005 8:52:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  09:36:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Over the music score and tabs are guitar chords. Are these played on a non-slacked guitar, or are they played as though one has a base (440) tuned guitar, or are their different representations for these chords on slacked guitars?

Hi -

I think I understand your question to mean -- "How do you play chords in open tunings?" And, perhaps, "Where can I find the chord shapes to play in open tunings?"

Chords are chords -- simply an arrangement of tones. Doesn't matter what you play them on. So a G chord will have the notes G-B-D. In standard, you hold a "grip" that looks like a G chord.

In TaroPatch, your top three strings are a G chord. The tuning is D-G-D-G-B-D. So simply playing the top three strings open gives you the G chord. If you barre everything at fret 5, you have a C chord, fret seven gives a D.

Andy, the admin guy for this website, has posted some chord diagrams for Taro Patch and a few other tunings. Here's the link to that page http://www.taropatch.net/tunings.htm.

Hope this is useful.

cheers,

Mark

Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  6:16:01 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo!!

That is what I was looking for Mark.

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page