Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Recordings for songbook
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  08:45:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I was reading about I'a Nui's Slack Tracks and thought I'd float another idea I had.
I've been using the "He Mele Aloha" songbook and figured out I know less than half of the songs in it. Would it be helpful if there was a CD of the songs (non-copyrighted/public domain songs only) where you could hear the melody and the words sung? Would it be possible to create a public domain CD for those of us who don't know all the songs?
I think that the performances wouldn't have to be great, probably just uke and voice so that Hawaiian music newbies could get started easier.
I don't want to open a can of (copyright)worms. I was just curious if anyone else was interested in having something like this, or would contribute to it. Most of the songs are not strictly slack key, but many are.
I only bring this up because that songbook is fairly comprehensive and is getting more popular. Perhaps there are other ways to teach the melodies of traditional songs.
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 02/09/2005 08:47:48 AM

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  11:21:19 AM  Show Profile
The closest I have found (besides having a friend that already knows the melody and can sing it for you ) is at the He Mele Aloha Web Site.

http://mele.home.att.net/

There some of the melodies are played by a keyboard and you can hear the melody (sound files). Many of the songs have also listed the melody in SOLFEGE notation (which is explained on the web site) but is basically a do-re-me notation for any key.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  1:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I've listened to many of these, but I have a hard time learning Hawaiian songs from a midi file because parsing the language is such a challenge.
But I'll keep trying!
And I'm interested in hearing about any more songbooks that people might recommend for learning traditional Hawaiian songs. It sure beats trying to balance CD cover booklets on you knee while you play!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  2:40:39 PM  Show Profile
I'd love the same thing... Maybe Keith would play and sing them for us. He knows lots! also, as I find Ohana, I'll ask. I know there are lots of books out there from around the '50s and later. I have Kui Lee's song book with music and Uke chords if you're interested.
auntie

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  7:05:06 PM  Show Profile
How did Mark Hanson do it?

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  9:29:27 PM  Show Profile
What a GREAT link.
Thanks, Mika ele, for posting it.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  04:06:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
oh, nancy, i don't know that many, although i'm working on it... kevin brown is the man!

flying to maui today to play with the maui group in hana tomorrow and saturday, ya-hoo!!!

keith
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  05:05:56 AM  Show Profile
I am sooo jealous!!!!
I want to get warm!
Say HI to Kevin
And it sure seems like you know lots and lots....and you sing!!
aloha nui loa!!

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  05:46:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Have a great trip Keith. Send the Maui crew our aloha.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000