Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Mastering Facilities/Studio's
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gary
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  12:33:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gary's Homepage
Could I get a list (or suggestions) of Mastering Facilities on Maui and in Honolulu.
I live in the Seattle area, yet I think a Mastering Tech in Hawaii will have a better "ear" on the final product.
Thanks
Gary

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  11:54:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Gary, I would not recommend a mastering engineer in Hawaii. In fact, most of the folks send stuff off to the mainland. Do you have a budget?

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

Gary
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  4:10:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary's Homepage
I'm just putting together a demo CD, 3 or 4 songs.
I have some places on the mainland to master, its just I read an article that suggested using an engineer from the style of music you play coud be beneficial.
Thanks for the respose
Gary
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  5:54:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
Gary,
Your sound has already been determined to a large extent. This occurred by your choice of room, equipment and recording personnel while you were tracking and then mixing.

Your final tweaking and mastering really should be done on the mainland. There are no real mastering rooms here in the islands, because we don't have enough business to support such a facility. The island market is too small and the few recording "engineers" who do have the ears cannot invest the necessary big bucks to build a dedicated mastering room. Competing with the evergrowing legion of engineer wannabees (each with a DAW) and trying to maintain a recording facility is a losing proposition.

If I really wanted to find someone who knows the sound, i would go to San Francisco and hire Howard Johnston, who owns Different Fur Recording Studios. He does all of George Winstons catalog (Dancing Cat). He is affordable and easy to work with. Lee Herschberg out of LA is another one, He did all of the Pahinui's stuff with Panini Records. Outside of these two well known engineers, you would do well to ask for samples or demos from different dedicated mastering houses. The demos should be similar to the style that you want even though it may not be "Hawaiian" -- straight acoustic would be okay. don't spend the big bucks unless you really have too.

Peter Medeiros
Go to Top of Page

Gary
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  7:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary's Homepage
Thanks Peter:
Sounds as though you nailed it for me.
Gary
Go to Top of Page

Darin