Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Notation software
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

akahele
Aloha

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  9:15:24 PM  Show Profile
Aloha all,
I'm wondering what people use to generate their tabs? I've seen a number of recommendations for Tabledit and I've tried the trial download. I must agree it does ALOT - probably too much for a newbie like me. Took me awhile just to figure out how to get started. What features do you like? What other software packages are out there? Any dislikes or limitations to the program? So far I've figured out how to create a guitar tuned to taro patch and I've actually put in a few measures of a song. The ability to playback using the computer's synthesizer is nice - it gives me some indication of whether I'm on the right track or not. Other than that, it does seem like overkill for what I'm doing.

Mahalo,
Clif

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  05:00:41 AM  Show Profile
Powertab is a freebie. It does about the same things as tabledit, although it might be considered a little clumsier - since many functions are clickable toggles or kinda arcane keystrokes (like spacebar to open up a space before a note and shift-spacebar to close it down - it is the latter that is counterintuitive). However, all those functions appear in the help files and it was a quick start to learn. With PT, I got quite a lot farther on immediately. For instance, its library of tunings already contained Open G and Open C and you can add tunings to the library and they persist. It also produces tinny kind of guitar sounds from your soundboard, and that is helpful *if* you have created the correct standard notation note timings. One other PT "advantage" is that there are lots of PT Tabs of various kinds of music in an archive that you can download - if you care about that kind of thing.

The writer of the software keeps threatening to upgrade it to a kind of MS Word analogue, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I am used to it, so I wouldn't pay $$ for another program. YMMV.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  05:09:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
Just to make this inclusive - I use Finale, which is generally a music notation package, but includes a very good tab application. You can enter music in regular notation and convert to tab or enter in tab and convert to regular. Many options. However, the Finale learning curve is very steep and the package is expensive, so if you don't need stuff like quintuplets within triplets, probably the packages mentioned earlier are better and more specific to the fretted instruments.

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  05:29:32 AM  Show Profile
On my Mac I use Sibelius G7, http://www.g7info.com/noflash/ . Besides being a fast and easy program to write with, it comes with scanning software. I've been able to scan many hawaiian pieces, change keys, and have it TAB out melody lines to whatever tuning I want. It will also scan TAB and convert to notes. Although I have not used this function, it also allows you to post TAB on a G7 website that others can download.

Dave

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 02/18/2005 06:36:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  3:57:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Here's my experience, for what it's worth. My needs may be different from yours, since I'm writing stuff for publication.

I used to use a program called "Encore" extensively for all the guitar stuff I did. ("Learn to Play ... " was done in it.) It's gone thru several stages with various companies -- the last was G-vox. I think it is far and away the easiest to use and best Tab program I've used.

However, it's an orphan... so it is no longer supported.

I now use Finale Guitar, which is a stripped down Finale (mac and windows -- but no OSX, the bastids.) I'm getting the hang of it, and it's getting much easier to use. Very powerful, in spite of the $79 price point. (Finale is hundreds more.)

Does a nice job with altered tunings, can read scanned files (sorta), and can do an OK job with playback. The good news is that I can enter the TAB directly, and then have it converted to standard notation. My MIDI guitar rig no longer works, so I can't comment on that aspect.

All in all I like the program quite a bit and would suggest you check it out.

I've also used MOTU's Composer's Mosaic extensively. It's great for non-standard TAB -- like dulcimer & swinette but I don't care for it for guitar.

I have had zero experience with the main freeware programs because they do not meet my needs (nor are they supported by my publisher), so I cannot comment on how they compare.

Happy Tabbing.

mark
Go to Top of Page

akahele
Aloha

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  8:55:32 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo to all who have given suggestions. I'm out on the road again for seven of the next nine days so it'll be a little while before I can follow up on the leads but thanks again!

Clif
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000